Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sourdough Loaf (psssst Hoss)

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished up a nice sourdough rustic loaf. Didn't let it rise much in the higher temperatures so not real acidic/sour, but the yeast flavor is terrific.

The awakening of the culture (Tuesday):

Starter2.jpg

The culture ferment done and ready for the additional ingredients to make the dough (Wednesday):

Starter3.jpg

After I mixed the dough and kneaded it for 20 minutes, I let it rise for 2 days. This morning I dumped it from the bowl, the, rested for 30 minutes and formed the final loaf (early this morning):

SourdoughFinalRise.jpg

Finally let it rise at room temp for 6 hours. The idea is to raise the proofing temps during this rise if you want a more sour loaf, but since my dough turned out a little on the slack side I let it go at room temp the whole time:

Baked it on a stone at 425° for about 25 minutes until the internal was 199° - then rested for 30 minutes, sliced, buttered, and devoured.

SourdoughDone2-1.jpg

SourdoughDone1.jpg

Lots of experimentation coming up now that I have a really strong culture brewing. This seems like a lot of work (it isn't) but the reward of a very flavorful loaf of bread is worth the effort.

Comments