Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Of Still Life & Cow Licks

Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Day before yesterday this was the picture......lowest temp ever..

DSCN9858.jpg

Today .......would you believe it (Frozen basil behind) ??????

DSCN9870.jpg

But......is not that simple ...What's in between those two drastic, diametrally opposed temps.?? Still Life!!! ...my garden's been transformed into a Still Life Garden (The term in spanish is "Naturaleza Muerta") Dead Nature it suits it much better now.... :( :

DSCN9865.jpg

DSCN9864.jpg

DSCN9866.jpg

DSCN9867.jpg

DSCN9868.jpg

DSCN9863.jpg

I haven't had the guts to check it all out but I know most of it has gone......sooooooo yes I'll be busy planting in spring.....meanwhile I needed a Cow Lick for comfort..... :woohoo: ......so I cranked The Mini...just 400* dome.....

DSCN9861.jpg

Cow Licked some Fajitas............................& pulled at 140* internal.........

DSCN9871.jpg

They were really good just what we needed.................

DSCN9874.jpg

& Now Ready for the Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    We are at 68 here and I took the easy road and did hamburgers....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Beli
    Have a great sunday Mickey Saldo's just around the corner... :woohoo: :laugh:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Sorry about your plants, we have that problem here and it is no fun, not to mention the cost of replacing everything. :(
    Food loks great as usual, have a good weekend :)
  • Beli
    TKS & Likewise Capt. have a great day!!
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Hey Beli
    Fajitas look tasty
    Looks like the temp is moving the right way :)
    Sorry to see you lost some plants

Shane
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Beli, That is a huge plant loss. That sux. Monster scallions!! That last picture is great!
    28 here.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Wow! To bad about all your beautiful plants.

Go Green Bay Packers! :whistle: :woohoo:
  • Beli
    Yeap big damage but Shane i love gardening so it'll keep me occupied for a while.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    That's a BUMMER! I hate you lost those beautiful plants. :( The food should cheer you up though! :woohoo: YUMMEE lookin cook! :)
  • Beli
    Molly Devastating temp swings here. Wouldn't mind that much if it was cold or hot for a while but those swimgs are real killers
  • Beli
    Tim I'm with the Steelers :P But Valeria is with the Packers. So may the best one win Steelers :woohoo:
  • Beli
    Hoss I'll need to come over to one of your parties & forget
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Oh Beli, that breaks my heart. Your plants were so pretty. They are telling us here not to throw them away yet but wait and see what comes out from the roots in spring - just trim off the tops after this next cold spell....good luck... (I have a bunch of dead plants too. I might have lost my Bird of Paradise :(
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Beli-You really neede some snow to get the full effect of winter. Want some??? :P Haven't seen my lawn in about a month.
    Brian
  • Beli
    Judy, never had so much damage at one time. Yes I'll wait & see which ones grow in spring. Funly enough the birds of paradise did ok here but of course you had a harder freeze. Talked to the lady at the nursery & programed some deliveries starting the beginning of March hope we'll be fine then
  • Beli
    Gosh Brian honestly don't know how you guys & specially the ones from the northern thundra :laugh: put up with it. This time we really had to stay indoors & I was going mad
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Beli,

Sorry about your plants! I bet with your climate, you can get the garden back in a jiffy.

The fajitas look good.

Cheers,
    Richard
  • Beli, so sorry to see the plant damage for the record cold weather. :( That is some temperture fluctuation!

Your fajitas with the guacamole have my mouth watering. :)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Oh....so sorry about the garden. Mother Nature can be so cruel at times - but think of the enjoyment you feel as you re-plant. At little Cow Lick makes everything a bit bitter....enjoy the game (go Packers)! :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Man, that sucks!! Hopefully, some will come back in the spring. Smaller than before, but if there's still any life in 'em, maybe it won't be too long before they're back.

Valeria ROCKS!!! :laugh:

image.axd?picture=2011%2f1%2fgreenbay.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    well that sucks, alot of work there. will the ferns and grasses come back on there own. should have mentioned to pick and freeze the basil, its what i have to do with it early october when the first bad frost comes thru, turns it black but you can still use it in a lot of dishes. plow truck almost took out my one and only flowering plant this last weekend, plants dont fair well in my yard
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Sorry to see the damage. :pinch: That's how it goes with the weather. Wonder how the farmers came out of this?

Enjoy the evening watchin the big game!
  • Oh wow! You sure took a hit with the cold. But like Judy said, some of your plants may come back on their own. We tried to save everything here that we could by putting it in the garage. All the planted stuff was covered but it was still exposed to 19° for many hours.

Food looks good though.

I'm on my way to fire up one of the Girls now for some pre-game steak.

Hope your team wins.

Spring "Cold Knows No Borders" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Beli
    TKS Richard yes I hope to get that garden looking good soon. Will give me somerhing to do next month once the cold weather goes
  • Beli
    Rebecca & on top of it all the Steelers are playing lousy :angry: Thank the Lord for the egg at least there's some pretty good stuff comming out of it & tomorrow is a holiday here soooooo. Yessssssss I'll cook again :)
  • Beli
    TKS Elizabeth. Gosh my Steelers just can't get it right
  • Beli
    Michael here she is next to me making sure I don't miss any time the Packers score :P
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Beli, I know how you feel. It sure hurts to lose so many beautiful plants. It'll take awhile, but you can replant and have have your garden looking better than ever.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Beli
    I completely forgot about the basil, the orégano & rosemary did very well. The big ferns I will have to buy again I might give the smaller ones a chance to regrow but I know I'll be very impatient & once we have the first party will be wanting to have it all ready.
  • Beli
    Lots of citrics orchards in the region must have lost crops no doubt