Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt going slow

Scottborasjr
Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright I have a small, not bone in pork butt, about 4 1/2 pounds. Have had it on for about 8 hours and 45 minutes. I've hit the plateau, but am now cutting it pretty close to the game. Been at 250, is a bump up to 300 or so a bad idea? Wouldn't care if the party was here but got 2 hours and 15 minutes til game time. Luckily only about a five minute drive so I got about 2 hours and 10 minutes before I need to pull it to put in cooler for resting.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Check your thermometer...you might be cooking at a temperature below what you want to finish at.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    you could wrap in foil now and kick the temps up to 350
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Yeah, I meant to do that last night but stuff with work and the kids got in the way, gonna have to calibrate it before my next big slow cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Yeah, that's probably the route I will go once I have about a hour left.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You don't NEED to put it in a cooler to rest. I never do unless I'm just not ready to eat yet. 30 minutes tented in foil is fine, then pull. If that helps with your timing. Also, if you have a Thermapen, you can stick it in the dome hole to see how hot it really is in there (though instant read of air temp isn't all that instant). Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks Michael, don't have my Thermapin yet so unfortunately not a option. Really only reason I'm putting it in the cooler is to transport it to the Super Bowl party. ;)