Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips on cleaning behind the shell with a shop-vac?

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You know how some ash gets trapped between the firebox and the outer shell of the Egg -- I generally poke a flexible rod around in there every few months and hope for the best. It does not do a great job.[p]Hoping for better results, I decided to get fancy, and it did not work -- I put a long hose on my shop vac and tried to poke it around the back of the shell. [The hose did not have a nozzle -- the nozzle, of course, would not make it around the curve.] The hose would not really go very far, plus the hose kept clogging up with ash. I also put a special filter in the shop vac -- it did not catch all the ash.[p]There has to be a way to clean all around the firebox without pulling out the fire ring and then lifting out the firebox -- there is too much risk of cracking the firebox. [p]Your clever ideas will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    i posted about a couple weeks ago that i use a reducer on my shop-vac to use a standard household vac hose, that's alot smaller in diameter. i can fish this through the bottom vent and can clean it pretty well with no dissassembly at all. are you using the 2+ inch hose to clean the egg?[p]Scott

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Prof Dan, I too have been working on that problem - I ended up buying a length of plastic coated 3/8 braided wire cable which is stiff, but still flexible. To the end I hot glued a square block of wood. The tool works moderately well - as long as it is run through kinda often - but once a large pile is behind (under) the hole it doesn't work. I have even had to pull the fire box out once to remove my snagged tool. I had hoped it would be a new product that I could give to Lawn Ranger, but alas I don't think most people would go to the effort needed.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    a buddy of mine "LAD" posted about 6 months ago, he uses a can of air you normally clean your keyboard with. So I keep one on the puter and one on the egg.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Prof Dan, I am still confused as why ash build up behind the fire box would be a big problem. It's only one air hole in the box. It seems to me that the majority of air is supplied through the bottom grate. As long as that is clean it seams that one would achieve TAO with the lump.

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    RRP,[p]Sounds like we need to figure out a new tool -- maybe a flexible auger bit thing??[p]Thanks for the cable idea!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Prof Dan, LOL that's an idea, but an earlier attempt I didn't mention involved using my electrical wiring snake to push a wad of rag through ended up seeking out one of the air holes and coming into the fire box - that particular failure led me to the plastic coated cable idea.
    Just to turn it up a notch I intended to have a smaller block on the other end of the cable so as to use on my small.
    Perhaps with all the brain power here we'll have a workable solution by sun up!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]I regularly vacume behind there by reversing my hose on my bissel which has a very short end. I'm able to shove the hose through the opening and around the back. I know about not wanting to lift the fire box out since mine has been cracked for over a year.[p]The vacume works great and I vacume it out before every overnight cook....like tonight.[p]I'm putting the butts on tonight for this weekends ice fishing trip up in Minnesota.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Prof Dan, if you are looking for a small auger, check the plumbing department at your local hardware store. They make an two types of small augers: toilet and drain line. The drain auger could work if you want to guide a rag or something in and around the ring. They don't cost much either and are easy to use. Good Luck!

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    sigmore,[p]The reason is because the buildup can get high enough to block the air holes in the SIDE of the firebox. For me, I only need to do a vac about 3-4 times a year.
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    a while back someone posted a picture of a slexible dryer vent brush. I think they use it to push the ash around to the point where they can vacuum it out. Joe

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    I have an air compressor that i use for a variety or my picture framing tools. Blow a little air in at 100 psi.

• Love Handles
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    I've had my firebox and fire ring out many times to clean behind them. I've never had a problem with either of them breaking. Sometimes, I've even taken out a broken fire box and put it back in. After removing both, I vacuum what I can't scoop out. See-Yaa

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    whats the best way to reheat on the ice, i have a 3 day trip coming up and havent decided what to bring yet. soups and fried sea food have been the norm, but pulled pork would be good too. large group with lotsa food

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I simply put foodsaver bags of frozen pulled pork in hot water and boil it for about 30 minutes. That's it. 30 minutes from freezer to plate and it's like it was pulled 10 minutes ago.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas