Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help on Wings and Drumettes, please

Uncle PhilUncle Phil Posts: 665
edited 1:21AM in EggHead Forum
Well, we got invited to a SuperBowl party and the request was wings. I have never done these on the egg before, so thought I would ask how you do these? Waht temp, what internal temp when finished and any sauce ideas you might have.
Thanks.

Uncle Phil

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Direct, raised grid, at 400&deg about 20-25 minutes per side. I rotate the grid 180&deg every ten minutes to make sure they cook even.

Then toss in sauce, put back on the grid for 5 minutes to firm it up.

Internal temps are usually in the 195-200 range which is insanely high for white meat, but to get the skin crisp it is a necessity.

Make some teriyaki, some honey mustard, some with Texas Pete's or Frank's cut with a little melted butter, some with thinned BBQ sauce. Sky's the limit.
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,883
    Here is the way I do wings. You do not have to wrap in paper towels overnight, just get very dry. Any flour/ bread crumbs 50/50 will work with seasoning. Toss in sauce or serve separate at end of cook.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=969877&catid=1 A
  • ForniaFornia Posts: 451
    I do them indirect at 375...till they are nice and crispy.

I think you'll find you can do them many ways...and they'll be asking for more wings from you very soon!
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    7d0d5b85.jpg

Ah yes, the wing... an all Americal grilled favorite. And perfect for football. Here are a few tips I use when making wings.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/05/chicken-wings.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • As usual, the answers are here. You guys and this forum are the best. Thanks for all the info. I am sure I can make game-winning wings today without hesitation.
    Uncle Phil
  • As usual, the answers are here. You guys and this forum are the best. Thanks for all the info. I am sure I can make game-winning wings today without hesitation.
    Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil
  • 500500 Posts: 1,723
    Everybody seems to have a unique way of doing them. I like them at 300 direct raised grid with hickory chunks for smoke, rubbed with just salt and pepper. They are crispy at around 50 minutes to an hour. I rotate the grid once for even heat. I take the naked wings off the Egg and immediately toss them in a waiting bowl of teriyaki sauce for some and buffalo sauce for some and serve immediately.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."