Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Safe Temp for Beef?

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
But done way to early (previous post) I know that I have read 170 internal as safe limit on pork butt, what about for brisket? I was thinking that my steaks never get to 190* will it hurt the brisket if it cools to 150 or so? I can reheat, thats not a problem, just a pain :ohmy:

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
    Meat's danger zone for bacteria is between 40 F and 140 F. Food safety rules say that any meat that has been in the danger zone for more than 4 hours should not be consumed. When meat is between 100 and 120 degrees Fahrenheit bacteria counts double every 20 to 30 minutes, so this zone is extra sensitive. Also whole cuts of meat like a bone in butt are safer than cut up pieces ( boneless butt ) because the majority of the bacteria tends to only be on surface. Ground meat is the worst safety wise because the bacteria rich surface of the meat is mixed throughout the meat, which means the bacteria are well mixed throughout the meat.

Regarding doneness, I always refer to this chart.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    The theory is bacteria won't grow below 40f or above 140f.

But you are talking internal temp not surface temps and to be honest, I'm not sure how that translates. Hopefully some of the food safety class people can share because I wonder about that too.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "safe" as in safe to eat?

if it's a steak, people eat them cold and purple-red all the time. :laugh:

i suppose a line in the sand would say 140 for all meat except chicken which is usually said to need 160 or more to be 'safe'

really, the question is one of preference as well as what are you cooking? if you want shredded pork butt, you can't get it at a quick roast til 140 internal. you need to slowly overcook that bad boy, til it falls apart around 185 minimum, usually more like 195-200. but it is 'safe' well before that.

same for beef. however you like you steak 'done' is safe. for brisket, you need to go by tenderness, but will be around 185 or so also.

most everything is safe to eat at 140
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The safe temp for whole muscle pork is closer to 137°, however most will quote 140°-145°, USDA also uses 145° as the safe temp for whole muscle beef.... but we all break that one when eating a medium rare steak.

I think what you are interested in is the holding temp. Hot foods need have an internal of 135° and above, cold foods need to stay below 41°.

When cooling foods down, most agree to get it down below 41° as fast as possible. For my "cook today - reheat tomorrow briskets", I still rest in foil for 3 or 4 hours and the internal is always above 150°. Then they get bagged in plastic (foil pouch and all) and into a ice water bath in my 80 quart cooler. In about 30 to 45 minutes minutes, they are chilled out nicely.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Thanks, yes the holding time temp is more what I am interested in now. I will check internal temp again when I pull the but off of the egg amd make sure it stays 140 or higher.

Thanks again