Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small brisket question

Options
Blackhawk Pilot
Blackhawk Pilot Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, so my wife and I are dieting. I am trying to lose about 20 lbs over the next few months. Anyway, I was able to convince her we needed Brisket for the Superbowl, but because she didn't want a lot of leftovers, she bought a 2.18 lb brisket.

I have never cooked a brisket that small and wondered if anyone had an approximation on time/ temp for cooking a small brisket. I would assume it takes less time, but just wanted to defer to the expert panel.

Thanks,
BP

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Welcome to the Forum. No disrespect intended here, but is there time to get to the store to get a larger one?

Yours is just too small for anything but grinding for burger, (which would be wonderful in a meatloaf or something, which can be egged) or for cooking entirely in a foil pouch in the oven.... which will be good, but it won't be barbecue. It will come out just like this, and be closer to pot roast.

DSC09767a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Blackhawk Pilot
    Options
    No disrepect taken. Not really time to get to the store. I would have bought a laregr one, but she went to the store before I had the chance and just came home with one. I will probably still give it a shot, and keep some ketchup on hand, in case the pot roast effect happens.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Here is the basic drill for cooking a brisket in foil. Don't be afraid of the amount of celery salt, and you will have to adjust the seasonings down since yours is a lighter cut, but you see the ratio.

You will be surprised at the flavor (even without smoke) and also the tenderness will be good. You could try an hour on the Egg at 200° to give it smoky flavor, but it might wash out during the foil part of the cook.

For some background, my online friend Pitmaster DonnyT uses this recipe to demonstrate what the correct tenderness of properly barbecued brisket (the full packer cut) really is.

5 pound brisket flat
    2T pepper
    3T celery salt
    sprinkle of cayenne (if you like it)

Season the brisket, lay it on a double piece of foil with the fat side up. Take another double layer of foil and lay over it and seal all the edges tight. The brisket goes into a 275° oven for 4 to 4-1/2 hours. Yours might only take about 3 hours in the foil.

When the timer goes off, remove the brisket (DON’T open the foil) and rest it for at least 30 minutes. Then open the foil and drain the juices into a measuring cup. Save them for dunking.

If you want to crisp up that fat, put it back in the oven under the broiler for a couple of minutes. For slicing, cut against the grain. If it’s really tender, make thicker slices.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Wazoo
    Wazoo Posts: 150
    Options
    Cooked a small brisket in the mini some time ago -- did it at 325, indirect, for about 2 hours. Came out just fine. Waz

100_1020.jpg

100_1022.jpg
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Somebody was asking about this last weekend. Looks good Waz!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Blackhawk Pilot
    Options
    I am going to try and go low and slow. We'll see how it goes.

Where is the best place to upload photos to put on here?