Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you assemble ABTs the night before

Options

Comments

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but can't see why not. As long as they are kept cold. Not sure how that would affect their smoking though.

I'm sure 10 others here have done it. I think I may make some tomorrow myself.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I frequently make them a day or two in advance. Just keep them refrigerated until the time to put on the egg - can even bring them to room temp before as well. OTOH were you asking about cooking them in advance? That can be done as well, and then nuke them - but after cooked and cooled they are not as good as hot and fresh!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09924a.jpg

Sure you can. Keep them in the coldest part of the fridge and I don't cover mine with plastic wrap...you don't want any condensation to moisten the bacon. A paper towel laid on top would be okay.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning:

Of course...do it all the time...just keep them in the fridge overnight.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I also have done them in advance with no issues.
    However, I froze some (uncooked)that I had left over from a big get-together. They didn't turn out as well when I cooked them up and I won't do that again, unless I learn some trick in doing so....
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Wayne, do me a favor. Make about 60 of those and overnight them to us.....Please!.. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    That is a thing of beauty. Makes me kinda tear up.
  • otey bones
    Options
    Boy, they look interesting,I keep hearing about em, Where do you find the reipe
    Thanks
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Here's some:
    ABTs
    Kurt Oehlschlaeger
    Redwood City, CA

Ingredients
    - 20 large Jalepenos
    - 16 oz Philly Cream Cheese
    - 1 16oz package of Hillshire Farms Little Smokies
    - 1 16 oz package of Oscar Meyer bacon (regular, not the thick stuff), 20 slices
    - Some BBQ Rub
    - Toothpicks

Halve the peppers by slicing lengthwise (Tip to stem). Use a pairing knife or spoon to de-vein the pepper and remove the seeds. Make sure you don't cut off the cap (where the stem is). You want to create a "boat" for the cream cheese. I like to leave the faucet running while I'm working on these to help with the cleaning. Respect the peppers, it's not good when the hot pepper juice gets in your eyes.

Pad dry the peppers. Fill each of the pepper boats with cream cheese. Put one Little smokie in the pepper boat. Sprinkle with some rub.

For the bacon, slice each one in half. Wrap the half-length bacon around the pepper/cream cheese sausage combo, securing with a toothpick through the bacon, sausage, and pepper. Sprinkle on some more rub.

For the cook, setup for indirect at 350 for about an hour, rotating if needed. I prefer to also use a raised grid. To make it even easier, I use a veggie tray sprayed with PAM.
    Put the ABT's on that tray, then transfer to the egg. Check after 30 minutes. Let the bacon get to your desired doneness, (everything else is pre-cooked).

This will make 40 ABTs.
    9 Fillings To Stuff A Jalapeno Poppper With
    Categories: Chilies, Appetizers
    Servings: 1

fillings

Mushrooms mixed with goat cheese, smoked paprika and chile oil

Pepper jelly and cream cheese

Cheddar cheese and cooked ground beef; then wrapped in crescent roll
    strips

Chorizo and grated potatoes (cooking in the leftover chorizo oil)
    combined with shredded Mexican cheese blend

Pimento cheese (this is also good layered into raw jalapenos too.)

Canadian bacon, diced pineapple, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan

Crabmeat, mayo and chopped green chiles

Sundried tomatoes mixed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon

Refried beans and salsa

Andrea Lynn, Chile Pepper magazine

Many stuff with pulled pork, shrimp,you can use anything really.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    DSC09914a.jpg

Start off with some seasoned cream cheese

DSC09918a.jpg

Add it to some jalapeno boats that have the seeds and veins removed

DSC09921a.jpg

Using some really thin bacon, stretch it onto a cutting board or tray, then wrap the pepper. If you want, you can put some cooked barbecue meat, sausage, or even a lil' smokey on the pepper before wrapping.

DSC03291a.jpg

Then they go on the cooker around 300° or so, until the bacon is crispy. An indirect cook is the best, but you can cook them very raised direct.

DSC09942a.jpg

DSC09951a.jpg

DSC06305JPGa.jpg

Heck, I may have to go and make some to have with dinner....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Eggcellent
    Options
    Man do these things look great!! I can't wait to try some. I love that you can be creative. Too bad I'm on diet.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    DSC05366JPGx.jpg

I can appreciate that, and I try to practice moderation myself while watching sugars and carbs.

Look, you don't really need the bacon, ^^ these just have seasoned cream cheese and are topped with sun dried tomatoes. I cook them with a lower pit temp since the cheese is un-protected so to speak. Toppings are endless. Slivers of garlic or even a 1/4" strip of ham or pepperoni strips are a great way to avoid the bacon. Just keep saying "the pepper is good for me", and it really is. Heheee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    We'd like to have some too.... :woohoo: Actually, you could start a monthly delivery (like the fruit of the month) - would that be sweet, or what? :laugh: