Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sam's Club pizza dough balls

Options
ShedFarm
ShedFarm Posts: 499
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I only have one of my three eggs so far (others haven't arrived from distributor), and the large I do have, I can't put together, until my table is ready. That hasn't kept me from thinking about what I'm going to do with them, once everything is in place...

Anyhoo, I found that Sam's Club sells their pizza dough balls by the case, with twenty 24oz dough balls costing only $15.57. Adding in tax, that means it'll cost less than 27cents per 8" pizza crust. Works for me!

I searched and didn't find any other mentions of this, so I just thought I'd pass it on, if anyone else might be interested.
BJ (Powhatan, VA)

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Good info, thanks for sharing.

Why can't you put your egg together and use it until your table is built? Just set it on the ground and cook away. No reason to wait.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear how you like the Sam's crust after your cook.
  • ShedFarm
    Options
    Since I can barely lift the base, I know there's no way in heck I can lift the whole egg. Essentially, I only want to assemble the egg once, and that's while I'm installing it into the table (which I don't have, yet).
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I asume they are frozen balls. - Help me with the math though - If I back into your .27 per crust that must mean you calculated 1 oz needed per inch of diameter or 20 balls will yield you approx 58 crusts with each being 8". Right?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    I've used Sam's dough balls before. 1 dough ball per 16 - 18" pizza. After thawing, spread one out on pizza pan, dock it, then apply sauce, cheese then toppings, or sauce, toppings then cheese. That puts the cost about $.86. You might half each ball for an 8" pizza cutting your cost in half. Just my 2 cents worth. I can't remember how good they were, we make our dough from scratch now. But I think they were mighty tasty.
  • ShedFarm
    Options
    Yes, they are frozen dough balls. Every other source I've found for dough balls, showed 1oz per inch of pizza, up to a certain diameter, then the amount increases to a higher ratio. 8-inch pizzas call for 8oz dough.

Because I'm looking for 8" crusts, I'm dividing each 24oz ball into 3-8oz balls. $15.57 + 2.5%(VA tax) = $15.96/20 balls/3 pizzas per ball = 26.6 cents each pizza crust
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • hinsongolf
    Options
    The Sam's crust are fantastic in the oven at 500 degrees. Honestly the are so good in the oven, never tried in egg.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thank you - I did not know the 1 oz rule. Please post a follow up about the taste and texture etc of the crust. What is the brand name?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ShedFarm
    Options
    They come from Utica, NY, from a place called DeIorio's.

DeIorio's Frozen Dough
    2200 Bleecker St.
    Utica, NY 13502
    http://www.deiorios.com/

Here's what the packaging and dough ball looks like:
    samsclubpizzadough.jpg

One thing I noticed, is that on the DeIorio's website, the pdf product listing shows item #424 as being a 14oz dough ball, and not 24oz. I pulled out my postal scale, and confirmed the dough balls as being 24-1/8oz.

I'll have to do a followup post on my experience with the dough itself, once I get eggin'. :)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I bought a case.When I got home I had the pressed crusts instead of the doughball I wanted.I was not impressed with them AT ALL!I would like to try the doughballs though.