Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top vs Bottom Vents

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if there are any better ways to use the top and bottom vents. I have a daisy wheel and I adjust both the bottom and the top simultaneously to move temp in the desired direction. When at high or low temps is there a more effective way to use the vents?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    jrlandry, I have a medium egg. Below 350 degrees I use both vents, 350 to 650 degrees, I use the top vent - bottom is usually 100% open, especially for pizza. Over 650 degrees... I usually just let it RIP. If I need to bring the temp down, I'll throw on the top cap. [p]Good Luck!
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    jrlandry,[p]I have a Small BGE. For low temps around 200-220, I light a very small amount of coals with a fire cube and leave the bottom vent very slightly open (1/4 inch?) and the daisy wheel closed. For temps around 300-400, I open the bottom vent around an inch or so and tweak the daisy the reach the desired temps. For 500ish, bottom vent and daisy completey open. For insanity temps, I remove the daisy and open the bottom vent completey.[p]As for easier ways, I believe Cat often cooks without a top and controls the temp with the bottom vent only. I've never tried this since the daisy came with my Egg and I've become accustomed to using it...but you might wish to eggsperiment or see what others have to say.[p]Good luck,
    Cornfed

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    jrlandry,
    On all 4 of my EGGS, I use only the bottom vent to control the temp. The only time I use the Slide metal or Daisy wheel is to shut the EGGs down.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    jrlandry,[p]I use only the bottom vent (although every now & then I need the slide/daisy top to keep the dome temp below 250). To maintain low temps this way, the key is to let the fire build gradually, & to start narrowing the bottom vent when you're 75-100 degrees below your target temp. Once the Egg gets too hot it takes a while to get the temp down again.[p]As you'll see from the responses, there are many ways to regulate the temperature - keep experimenting & you'll find what works best for you.[p]Cathy
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    jrlandry,
    I was always controlling the temp with the bottom only, except adding a firebrick to keep it lower on occasion. After the eggfest and talking to Spin, I started using the brick to control the temp on the top and leaving the bottom open. It's easier that way because there's no way for the slider to get ashes in it and be hard to slide. Seem easier to get just a crack with brick as well.[p]I think Spin is right - you control the temp by controlling the airflow. Whether you choke it at the top or at the bottom or a combination, you still restrict the airflow and you get the result you want.[p]After using the slider daisy top at the eggfest, I have no interest in retiring my brick. I found it to be a huge nuisance the way it slid around every time I opened the top.[p]Mary

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    jrlandry,[p]Like Mary, I use the bottom vent and a fire brick to control the temp. I always use both no matter what temp I'm cooking at. I get 200 degrees with the bottom vent open just a SLIVER (16th of an inch or less) and the top open just a sliver also. 350 on my setup is about a quarter inch max on the bottom vent and the top opening about a half inch wide. Trick is to control the fire on the way UP, not try and cool it down when its going.[p]Troy