Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You stoker owners did you get the 5 or 10 cfm fan?

Options
OconeeDawg
OconeeDawg Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Also what happens when you open the lid? Does it screw it up? Thanks By the way I have a Large BGE!!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

It isn't going to matter which blower you get. I was advised to get and did get the 10cmf on my Stoker and the 10cfm on my digiq. I sort of wish I would have purchased the 5cfm. However, the 10 cfm works great.

You will love the stoker, make sure you pick up some extra food probes, you will find it handy to monitor several pieces of meat.

Stoker monitoring the dome, pit and several points on the meat in the large.
    ldbrisket1.jpg

I also have the digiq monitoring the meat in the medium and the stoker watching the cook progress on the medium with the digiq
    ldbutts.jpg

Here is the stoker controlling a summer sausage smoke and monitoring several logs.
    sausage_summer.jpg

GG
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    The Stoker is awesome. They advised me to get the 5 cfm fan. It works fine.
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    I got the 5 cfm fan as well for my large. In regard to the fan "messing it up", on the stoker log software there is a button for lid open detection which will turn off the fan for a few minutes to allow the probe to reestablish a proper temperature reading.
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    I have owned the Stoker for over two years and I have an XL Egg and I use the 5 cfm blower with no problems
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    Raising the lid.....When I do Butts, Shoulders and Brisket, I never raise the lid until the meat hits the desired temp

When I do ribs and need to open the lid a couple of times, I just shut off the Stoker and turn it back on when I shut the lid
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Kent, the 40-50 wires you're using reminds me of a quote from an old movie...

"Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?" :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The DigiQ has a feature called "Open Lid Detect" that supposedly tells it to ignore dome openings. No idea how or IF it works. I've only used mine a couple of times so far.

I bought the 10CFM and it seems ok too. It's downwards adjustable. So far, mine has been set at 1/4-1/3 open (so maybe 2-3CFM, certainly less than 5) and it's been fine. Not sure when/if I'll ever need 10.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tsheehan7
    Options
    I use the 5cm fan and it seems to be more than enough.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I've got three 5cfm blowers with my Stoker for my three large eggs. For a low-n-slow cook a 5cfm only 'puffs' on for about 5 seconds once every minute or so. Really no need for a 10cfm or larger unless you also want to use it on a very large steel smoker such as one for whole hogs...
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Perfect timing! I am close to ordering one myself and was wondering the same thing. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Bruce
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    I have a large BGE.

I called to place my order. Talking to him, I told him I wanted the 10CFM upgrade. He asked me what I was cooking on. I told him. I was advised that I really didn't want the 10CFM fan.

Some 20 cooks later (I got my egg in Sep 2010), I have to say he was right. Bringing the egg up to temp doesn't take very long. Once it's there, the fan cycles once every couple or three minutes for about 5 to 10 seconds at a time. I think I would have to say the 5 is just fine for the large egg and probably more than sufficient for an XL as well.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Options
    5 cfm works well. I've had no problems controlling temps of 400°.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I have cooked a roast at 350 using my Stoker with the 5 cfm fan. Stokerlog tells me that the fan ran for 18% of the time during that 2-hr cook. There is no need for the 10 cfm fan with that kInd of performance from the smaller fan on a large egg.

You can use the lid open feature in Stokerlog to stop the fan for a predetermined interval, or you can simply turn off the Stoker before opening and turn it back on after closing the lid, which is what I find easiest.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    5CFM....it cools off, and then stablizes again... no biggie. I don't open it much when I'm using my stoker...