Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookies - what's your favorite recipe?

Options
Di
Di Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Maybe it's the cold weather, but I'm thinking about cookies.

What's your favorite cookie recipe?

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I always enjoy 'Vanishing Oatmeal Rasin' cookies. You can find the recipe on the inside of the lid from a Quaker Oats container or at their web site. My twist is instead of 1 cup rasins, I use 1/2 cup each of Craisins (orange flavor is nice) and chocolate chips. Hope you like them!
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    I could eat Grandma Farris' oatmeal chocolate chip cookies all day.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    my Grandma's chocolate chip cookies! and no the recipe is not for grabs!! but i did answer your question, which is my favorite recipe :laugh: :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I like the Tollhouse recipe but I substitute white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    I love the neiman marcus chocolate chip recipe......you make me hungry for them now!
  • Booking It
    Options
    The BEST chocolate chip recipe is Cooks Illustrated's Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie.

They look like and taste like they came from a 5 star bakery. People are shocked when they find out that they are homemade. Part of the secret is the melted butter and the way that the cookies are formed.

I can't post the recipe for copyright reasons, but if you go to your library, pick up a copy of The Best New Recipe by Cooks Illustrated. Every single recipe that I've tried from that book (probably well over 30+) has turned out magnificently well.
  • Di
    Options
    Thanks for the great tip. I love cookbooks and will definitely check this one out.
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Tough choice but My Mom's White chocloate, Macadamia Nut..... so soft and chewie, and her Christmas fruit and almond chews are neck and neck
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Di, I have one. I made these for my sons Birthday party and one kid came up and said this was the best cookie he ever had. Then his mom called me for the recipe. That kid was right, these are GOOD.

Butterfinger Cookies

1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/3 cups dark brown sugar
    1 stick butter
    4 eggs
    3 running over teaspoons vanilla
    2 1/2 cups chunky peanut butter
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    20 oz. Butterfingers, chopped

Mix sugar, brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Add peanut butter, flour, baking soda and salt, stirring after each. Add butterfingers. Mixture will be dry.

Drop teaspoon sized cookies onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes.

These are sweet, so you can easily cut the amount of sugar you add. The recipe can be cut in half and comes out just as good.

Enjoy!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Di
    Options
    They sound yummy!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    my Nana's thin chewy molasses cookies. you roll them in sugar and then flatten with a glass. they are thin and crisp on the edge but eat like a hard caramel almost.
  • Rascal
    Options
    I have that recipe and it is very good!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    what copyright reasons are you referring to? Pretty sure it's ok to reproduce the ingredients & cook times
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Rascal
    Options
    I was wondering about that.. If you could run it off on the library copy machine, would posting it here be any different?
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Chocolate Chip Cookies (Cook's Illustrated)

# 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour (2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
    # 1/2 teaspoon table salt
    # 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    # 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (1 1/2 sticks)
    # 1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
    # 1/2 cup granulated sugar
    # 1 large egg
    # 1 large egg yolk
    # 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    # 1 -2 cup chocolate chips (semi or bittersweet)

Directions:

Prep Time: 15 mins

Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs

1. 1 Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. 2 Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.

3. 3 Form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Rotate halves ninety degrees and, with jagged surfaces exposed, join halves together at their base, again forming a single cookie, being careful not to smooth dough?s uneven surface. Place formed dough onto one of two parchment paper-lined 20-by-14-inch lipless cookie sheets, about nine dough balls per sheet. Smaller cookie sheets can be used, but fewer cookies can be baked at one time and baking time may need to be adjusted. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month?shaped or not.).

4. 4 Bake, reversing cookie sheets? positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes). (Frozen dough requires an extra 1 to 2 minutes baking time.) Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-cookies-cooks-illustrated-150343#ixzz1Cpjk5ZiA

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-cookies-cooks-illustrated-150343#ixzz1CpjYxhSp
  • jwr3
    jwr3 Posts: 61
    Options
    At the Texas Eggfest last year somebody (I apologize that I cannot remember who) was making terrific chocolate chip cookies. They had bits of candied bacon in them. Awesome!
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Today, my favorite would be Lace Cookies....very thin and crispy - here is my recipe:

1 cup quick oats
    ½ cup all-purpose flour
    ½ tsp salt
    1/1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 cup sugar
    ½ cup unsalted butta (AKA butter – and it makes a difference in the taste/texture of the cookies)
    1 large egg
    1 tsp vanilla – use the real stuff – imitation is imitation

Combine oats, flour, salt, and baking powder – mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix sugar, butta, egg, and vanilla.

Add oats/flour mixture to sugar/butta mixture. Stir together until all dry ingredients are incorporated.

Drop by teaspoon onto your choice:

“Pammed foil” or parchment paper – for me , having done both, this is a no-brainer – Parchment paper!

Bake at 375 degrees – usually 10 – 15 minutes. You really have to watch these – you don’t want to overcook.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Mocha Logs

INGREDIENTS
    1 cup butter
    ¾ cup sugar
    1 eggs
    2 ¼ cups flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon baking powder

1. mix ingredients together and put in cookie press with star tip. Press out long logs 3" on pan.
    2. Bake 325 until light brown. Cool and then dip end in bittersweet chocolate and roll in walnuts.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • cucamonga egg
    Options
    I like Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pecans.
    I use vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla and I add 1/3 - 1/2 grated hershey's chocolate bar to the dough.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Nana always wins. Mine made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that are still the best ever.

I can't believe you had a nana too. We must be related!
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options