Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ribeye question

cooksomecooksome Posts: 88
edited 3:18PM in EggHead Forum
Is it possible to cook a whole ribeye,sortof like a prime rib. Or is it not really a good idea?
·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,813
    its the same piece of meat, just make sure its choice or prime grade
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,813
    prime rib is standing rib roast, is delmonico roast, is ribeye roast, all can be with or without bones, same cut. prime rib can be sold prime, choice, or select, my preference with this cut is choice as prime can just be too fatty
    ·
  • Sure you can. Cook it indirect and determine what temp you want to pull it at. I would suggest taking it off 5* sooner to allow for resting. The temp will continue to raise slightly
    ·
  • My sentiments exactley, mr. fishless!
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Sure I think it's the same meat. Done it many times Normally give it a good sear 600 + until nicely blackened then let rest & drop temp to 350 * indirect untill 130 internal. I aim at a 135* internal after the rest period good luck
    ·
  • That is my favorite cook for flavor and WOW factor!
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,026
    you've already gotten the answer to your question. Now - let me throw out another suggestion that we really have had great success with - HOT TUB that big ol' chunk of cow! Then do a reverse sear to 10 degrees below your desired internal temp doneness - remove and tent. Just brace yourself for all the accolades to be heaped on your shoulders!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • A whole Ribeye is prime rib. I would agree with an earlier poster to make sure you get a good cut. The better marbling will really help. Good Luck.
    ·
  • thanks for all the help I'll post so pictures
    ·