Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Ribeye question

cooksomecooksome Posts: 88
edited 11:59PM in EggHead Forum
Is it possible to cook a whole ribeye,sortof like a prime rib. Or is it not really a good idea?

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,654
    its the same piece of meat, just make sure its choice or prime grade
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,654
    prime rib is standing rib roast, is delmonico roast, is ribeye roast, all can be with or without bones, same cut. prime rib can be sold prime, choice, or select, my preference with this cut is choice as prime can just be too fatty
  • Sure you can. Cook it indirect and determine what temp you want to pull it at. I would suggest taking it off 5* sooner to allow for resting. The temp will continue to raise slightly
  • My sentiments exactley, mr. fishless!
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Sure I think it's the same meat. Done it many times Normally give it a good sear 600 + until nicely blackened then let rest & drop temp to 350 * indirect untill 130 internal. I aim at a 135* internal after the rest period good luck
  • That is my favorite cook for flavor and WOW factor!
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,380
    you've already gotten the answer to your question. Now - let me throw out another suggestion that we really have had great success with - HOT TUB that big ol' chunk of cow! Then do a reverse sear to 10 degrees below your desired internal temp doneness - remove and tent. Just brace yourself for all the accolades to be heaped on your shoulders!
    Dunlap, IL
  • A whole Ribeye is prime rib. I would agree with an earlier poster to make sure you get a good cut. The better marbling will really help. Good Luck.
  • thanks for all the help I'll post so pictures