Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pigasso & Sue E's Bodacious BBQ Sauce recipe

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I attempted to add the recipe to the BGE Sauces section but do not know if I succeeded. In any event, after weeks of anguish, becoming slaves to various concoctions, spices, adult beverages of a magnitude of styles and types, we are happy to offer the following: [p]A wonderfully complex sauce with an initial sweet tease followed up with a spicy tangy finish. (A recipe so secret it took this long to find!)

Ingredients:
• 1/3 Cup Peanut Oil
• 1 medium red onion, chopped [p]• 1 head garlic, minced
• 3 Tbs Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk
• 4 Bay Leaves
• 1 Tbs Coleman's Dry Mustard
• 3 Tbs fresh ginger root, grated
• 1 tsp ground pepper
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• ½ tsp curry powder (or preferably Tandoori seasoning from Penzeys)
• 1 Tbs crushed red pepper flakes [p]• 1 ¾ Cup tomato catsup
• 1 Cup fresh orange juice
• ¼ Cup fresh lemon juice
• ¼ Cup molasses
• 2 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
• 2 Tbs Soy Sauce
• 2 Tbs honey
• 2 Tbs orange marmalade [p]
Cooking Directions:
• Heat oil in heavy sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent - about 10 minutes. Add the next nine ingredients (garlic through red pepper)cover and cook - stirring every 2 minutes or so - DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO BURN! and cook an additional 20 minutes.[p]Meanwhile, combine next 8 ingredients in large measuring cup (1 ¾ cup catsup through marmalade. Add to saucepan after the 20 minutes has passed.[p]Simmer until the mixture is reduced to sauce consistency, about 30 minutes. I suggest then allowing the sauce to rest and then chilling for 24 hours to allow the flavors to meld.[p]Oinks to all![p]Pigasso & Sue E.
• [p]

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Pigasso & Sue E.,[p]thanks for the recipe, and those adult beverages do seem to help with the creative side. can you tell me, how well does it keep in the fridge? looks like it will make more than i'll use right away. [p]Scott

• Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    eggor, we generally keep it for a couple of days in the fridge if it has not all been cosumed! It will be necessary to "reconstitute" by mixing some water with the sauce before reheating. It does get really thick! It also freezes well!

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Pigasso & Sue E.,[p]Mmmmmm! That sounds really good. I haven;t had good luck lately with my sauces. [p]Have you found you like it better on ribs, PP, beef, etc. or is it really all-purpose?[p]Steve-B
  • Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    Steve-B, - I think this is one of those "all purpose affairs!"[p]All the best,[p]Pigasso