Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perplexed by rib cooking...

bamarob
bamarob Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I travel a good bit for work and I was in my college town of Tuscaloosa and went for a visit to my favorite rib place in the world, Archibald's. My buddy and I got to talking to the owner at the counter as we ate our ribs. I asked how long he cooked his ribs and he said 45 min or so over a hickory fire. He laughed when I told him I cook mine 4-5 hours. Also, he only cooks a butt for 4 hours. And his ribs are the best I have tasted.

Any thoughts on how to do that in the egg?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    those are grilled, not barbecued.

you can cook meat any number of ways...

grill the ribs, and sauce at the end (otherwise it'll burn).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • They have a great smoke flavor. I thought this was only achieved by low and slow.
  • I wonder if he is boiling them before throwing on the fire. The best rib joints over here all cook theirs longer than that with the exception of the Rendez-vous. But it is a different sort of deal there.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    smoke is smoke.

when it is there, it is flavoring the meat. it has no idea how hot the fire is
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • No boiling. I saw him take them out of the cooler and put them in the pit.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My guess would be that he par-boiled them. I know one of the better places near me, which does a huge business, does. They compensate by dredging the slabs in rub. But, as I've come to realize, the meat is often still too fatty, and not as tender as it should be.

In a similar vein, I once talked to a fellow whose business failed. It wasn't because the ribs were poor, quite to the contrary. It was just that for him to be ready for lunch at noon, he had to start his fire a 4 a.m. He could either sleep, or cook ribs, not both.
  • Ahhh yes, Archibald's ribs. Man ole man, those are some kind of good ribs. One day I had the pleasure to sit around talk and watch George Jr do his magic. There is no parboil or anything, but a good hickory fire, small amount of seasoning and a lifetime of knowledge concerning ribs. There is no sauce on them, but you do get the best vinegar based sauce thau will ever hit your lips. People hear and talk about dreamland, but the real deal is in a shack called Archibalds