Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron grate-- wish I had known

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I just gained a little knowlege that I wish to share with my fellow eggers
If you have a cast iron grate for your large bge DONOT attempt to clean it by leaving it in the egg for the high temp clean cycle
Mine broke at 750 deg, what a suprise.
Hope this helps someone else to keep from having one of those moments that make you say--- well-s@#t
Glenn

Comments

• Dr_Redwine
    Options
    Glenn,
    Give us some more details. Were you finished cooking at a lesser temp and went to 750 or did you start with a cool grid and styick it in at 750? Something doesn't sound right. I've seen a bunch of folks on here talking about T-Rexing steaks with cast iron with no ill effects. You should be able to get cast iron almost white.
    DrR

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Glenn,
    sorry, but there has to be more to the story as 750 is not going to make a cast iron grill break - perhaps it had a fault in it and that broke - if I were you I'd see if the dealer will replace it. I use a cast iron grate I cut down for my small BGE where I regularly hit 750 to 800 with no problem.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Glenn,
    You definitely have some other cause for that to happen, I've buried the needle and come back around again past 250 numerous times and never had a problem with the cast iron.[p]Please elaborate, how much grease was on the grate? Had it been subjected to rough handling? Did you take it instantly from sub-zero to nuclear assault? How much damage did you actually do?[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Glenn,
    Here is how it happened
    I had cooked some ribs last weekend and got que sauce all over the grate, so I decided to burn off what was left of the lump in the firebox (a little more than 1/4 full)
    and burn off the junk on the grid.
    I lit the leftover lump and opened the bottom vent and left off the daise wheel, I put the grate in place while the egg was still cold and went away to play.
    When I came back to check on the progress , the junk on the grid had burnt off to a white ash in the midle of the grate, and the grate had a crack runnin from the back edge for about 2 inches goin towards the center.
    There has been no abuse, and I have refrained form leting the egg get to nuke temps because I always toast the gasket when I do.
    Maybe Im just lucky and got a bad casting
    Glenn

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Glenn,
    Please give us any additional details you have. As others have said, something isn't right. I use my cast iorn all the time and have had no problems. Take this thread to you dealer, and plead your case.
    When I don't use high temps to clean it; I will take a piece of heavy duty tin foil, shiny side down and place on the grate.
    Hammer