Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What I Cooked Today

chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm up north working for a week - away from my egg. Even my mini - which normally lives up here - is down south getting it's new handle and hinges. I'm in Egg withdrawl. But I still must cook.

Dinner tonight was ribs done using a recipe from the latest LCBO magazine - Sticky Oven Ribs. I changed things a bit - braising the ribs stovetop, using sweet smoked paprika in place of paprika and chipotle powder in place of cayenne. For the slather I replaced most of the molasses with honey, and fig-balsamic in place of the cider vinegar.

Not my best picture ever - but these were some tasty ribs considering they weren't egged.

5414288075_a4d5aedf56.jpg
DSCN2482 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

I made the Smashed potatoes cooked in duck fat to accompany the ribs, as well as steamed some asparagus that was then garnished with butter and parmesan.

5414288137_957c9cfca1.jpg
DSCN2485 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

5414288431_299e5ae89b.jpg
DSCN2479 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

I also baked a couple of loaves of the Tartine Country Bread - one for tonight's dinner and a second to take to work tomorrow. My yesterday's attempt at this bread resulted in a couple of wonderful smelling doorstops that were binned as soon as they cooled.

5414900586_9144efab73.jpg
DSCN2476 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

5414288381_8152777025.jpg
DSCN2477 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

To take to work this morning I put together the dough for Pierre Hermes Olive Sables - unfortunately in the store here in LIttle Current there were no oil cured black olives so I opted to use some nice pimento stuffed greens instead - it still works - they were gone by noon!

5414900486_dfb3b84f67.jpg
DSCN2474 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Dern I never had cookies like that. I love green olives. :P
  • chocdoc
    2Fategghead wrote:
    Dern I never had cookies like that. I love green olives. :P

The black olives are a little saltier - but the greens still hold their own against the sweetness of the cookie.
  • chocdoc, the ribs look delicious and I would love to try the sweet/savory cookie. :)
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    chocdoc, Where can I find the recipe for THAT bread? It looks wonderful.
  • chocdoc
    eenie meenie wrote:
    chocdoc, the ribs look delicious and I would love to try the sweet/savory cookie. :)

Here is a link to the recipe.
  • chocdoc
    Turk wrote:
    chocdoc, Where can I find the recipe for THAT bread? It looks wonderful.

You can save yourself 20 days by finding someone with an active starter.

Here is the recipe

Instead of following the instructions for heating up your CI dutch oven and fiddling with a basket of dough and a hot chunk of cast iron - I dump the dough onto a cornmeal sprinkled peel and slide it on to a preheated pizza stone, then cover with a big stainless bowl for the first 20 minutes.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    SCHWEET! If you keep raising that bar,us little folks will NEVER catch up! :)
  • That bread looks absolutely amazing. Where did you get the recipe from and do you care to share??
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    She posted a link below.
  • Sorry about that, I must have scrolled down too quick and I completely missed those posts where the recipe was posted.

Def going to give a try this weekend.
  • chocdoc
    Bagger722 wrote:
    Sorry about that, I must have scrolled down too quick and I completely missed those posts where the recipe was posted.

Def going to give a try this weekend.

The one issue with that bread that may interfere with doing it this weekend is the 15- 20 days to make the starter! If you know someone with an active starter grab some now and feed it for a couple of days - if not you might want to make a quicker starter. Put about 1/4 tsp yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and wait for it to disperse. Use about 1 tbsp of this yeasted water in with your whole wheat and white flour mix to make your initial starter. It won't have as much flavour as the 20 day starter - but should be ready to go after 12 to 16 hours.

I'm experimenting right now with spreading some of my starter on a piece of parchment and drying it to see if I can produce a reliable source of the yeasties for travel purposes. When I came up north here I brought a couple of little bottles full of frozen starter (not a huge problem when it's -15C out there), but if I'm travelling in the summer a little bottle of something that wants to grow in the suitcase it might not result in a pretty sight.
  • The bread looks incredible.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    ChocDoc you just do it over and over :ohmy:
    Wished you lived next door to me.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.