Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket on the Mini?

Options
the Willy
the Willy Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a proud new owner of a mini. I live in a 3rd floor apartment, I cannot have a grill/smoker on my patio. The mini fits very nicely into my fireplace and has worked great there. I've had great success with steaks, ribs, chicken, tablitas, corn, potatoes...etc...granted I can't cook an awful lot at a time, but it's big enough to make just the right amount for myself and a friend or two. Sometimes I'll have to cook things up in batches to get it all done, but its ok, just a little more beer drinkin time before dinner.

My local butcher will cut me off a small chunk of brisket if I ask. Anybody have thoughts/suggestions on how to make this work?

Anybody actually done this successfully? You can only put about 1.5 lbs on there and still cook indirectly, but I'm ok with that. If I had to put 10 lbs of brisket in my freezer I wouldn't have any room left for ice cream and liquor bottles.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I cooked a 2 1/2 lb boneless butt at Thanksgiving on my S-I-L's mini. I used a mini pizza stone with HDAF on it as the indirect barrier and to catch the grease. I cooked it at 300 until the internal temp was 192. It took about 3 hours...it pulled nicely and was a great snack while waiting for the turkey to get done. ;)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I don't know of anyone that has done a brisket on the mini. Try what Vidalia1 says, it is a similar cook in length. Give it a try, and let us know how it turns out.

Here is a post you may have missed that shows a bunch of mini cooks. Maybe you will get some ideas of some other new stuff to cook on your mini.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&id=941464&catid=1&limit=24&limitstart=0

Welcome to the forum, Mr. the Willy.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Maybe Bobby-Q will chime in and tell about the one I did at the Winchester BBQ contest a few years ago....I think it was Waygu too from the monster contest brisket he had to trim down to fit on his XL.....
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Someone recently posted about cooking a butt in a hurry by cutting it up into fist sized chunks. Briskets seem to be a more difficult cook though. Still, what have you got to lose?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    The only limitation of the Mini is the amount of lump it holds. So depending on how fast your meat cooks, you might need to re-load. A chimney starter will allow you to light addt'l lump on the side, burn off the nasty smoke, and refill the mini w/hot coals.
  • the Willy
    Options
    for a slow cook like brisket i'm not worried about running out of coal. I've used it early evening then closed it up and let it sit for a few hours before opening it back up to cook again, and with all the flues shut its still around 200 hours later. I've got a chimney starter in any case...so no worries
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I took my mini to work, and did a 3 1/2 pound pork butt. It took the whole 8 hour shift. Turned out great.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • the Willy
    Options
    Mind sharing some tips/details?

How did you set up for indirect heat?

I can control the temp on there pretty well with the top wide open and just using the bottom flue to regulate it, but I'm wondering if keeping the top closed up more would be better to keep more moisture in and less of a strong air current going straight to the top?
  • cookn biker
    Options
    On the gill I set a pie tin and the butt went in there. Worked like a charm. Of course it wasn't done at 250. I don't have the mini pizza stone. Just get your mini as low as it can get, put that hunk of brisket in and let it go. Let us know of the outcome. I am interested.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options
    p.s. I use both top and bottom vents to control. You will have to play around with it on a few smaller cooks. My bottom vent does not really close all the way, so for the pork butt cook that stayed closed, adjusting the top.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Damn! Brisket on the Mini! great idea! awhile back someone (maybe Kim?) posted a boston Butt cook on the mini and it made me want to give it a go but never did.

I've got to try that!