Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ET-732 Review

berrygood
berrygood Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a couple of comments. I hated my ET-73s. My problems were (1) weak stock cables, (2) poor range on the remote, (3) power switch INSIDE main unit, and (4) a maximum pit temp of 410.

In short, the ET-732 sufficiently addresses all of these issues - home run. Additionally, the overall quality of the hardware itself is much improved. Recommend.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thanks for the review. Best reviews are from egg people on egg products :)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I've heard a lot of good things about the 732, but several years ago when I bout my 73 I heard tons of praise for it as well.

I'll agree with you on the weak cables - they are thin with tiny connectors, but mine work as well today as they did new out of the box. Never a problem.

The power switch inside the remote unit was to allow it to be used in the rain. I found that a plus.

I've never found much need to monitor pit temps over 400&deg so I didn't find that to be an issue.

Anecdotally, the range on my unit is fine. There must have been some quality control issues with the receiver. My guess is the internal antennae were not attached properly or were somehow inefficient. The range on my particular unit is similar to a cordless phone or a wireless router. I could easily be upstairs, on the other side of the house, through a brick exterior wall and several interior wall and still maintain a connection.
  • Mickey
    Just checked Amazon and $69.99 and NO free shipping. That puts it at $77.70 to me.
    Anyone see a better price?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey wrote:
    Just checked Amazon and $69.99 and NO free shipping. That puts it at $77.70 to me.
    Anyone see a better price?

I got mine for $52 plus shipping from Yard and Pool. I googled "yard and pool coupons", and saved myself the 5 bucks to bring it that low.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I concur w/ your analysis. I had the same complaints about my 73 and although I have just gotten my 732 and only used it once, it does address all of the 73's deficencies. The interior power switch was a real pain to me, especially since the little locking gizmo for the battery compartment broke ealy on and I had to tape the thing together.
    My first low & slow will be a couple of butts for the game Sunday and I will certainly report any problems, but I do not expect that to happen. :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I got the same deal from Yard & Pool! :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great to hear you like the ET-732 Jeremy. Can I assume you used the ET-732 and found that the receiving unit worked through out your house or all over your yard? Do you feel the probe cables are capable of withstanding the treatment we normally give them during a cook? :ermm: Tim
  • Mickey
    Just ordered from Yard & Pool.
    $54.99 (after $5. coupon)
    7.99 shipping
    $62.98 Still a savings of $15 over Amazon

• 2Fategghead wrote:
    Great to hear you like the ET-732 Jeremy. Can I assume you used the ET-732 and found that the receiving unit worked through out your house or all over your yard? Do you feel the probe cables are capable of withstanding the treatment we normally give them during a cook? :ermm: Tim
    Honestly, the lack of range was my biggest gripe regarding the 73. To answer your question, yes, the range is waaaay better. It works all over my house - even in the basement - as opposed to the ole 10-foot, line-of-sight range on the 73.

The cables are more substantial, as well. Actually, I had bought the optional high temp cables for the 73 - same thing.

All in all, I have spent around $250 to get happy!
  • I like what I've seen of the new unit, but since my ET-73 is relatively new, and still in good working order, I'm going to hold off on upgrading for a while.

My main inconvenience with the 73 is the length of the cable on the smoker temp probe. I pull out the dome thermometer, and put the maverick smoker temp probe through the hole. But the short cable means that I can't just set the unit next to the egg, or hang it from the nest, because I can't open the dome without picking the unit up and holding it, while I open the dome. Last night, I taped the unit to the egg dome handle, and that worked okay. I thought I read something about the cables being longer, is that true?

I've only lost signal once, and I believe I read that the new unit has an alarm if signal is lost, which would be nice. The one time I lost signal, having to remove the battery cover to switch the unit off and back on (and needing to re-synch it with the remote) was a pain...but thankfully it was just the one time. Sounds like that will be easier with the new unit.
  • Denbbq
    Denbbq Posts: 84
    Can't find valid yard and pool coupon code on line. Anyone have it?
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks that's really good to hear. ;)
  • Mickey
    For the coupon I used DSC-54 ($5. coupon)

• Mickey,

DSC-54 and DSC54 are invalid codes at www.yardandpool.com
  • Mickey
    This is a copy of my recpt from this morning.
    I just thought: I tried to push it twice by computer and it would bounce back. I called Y&P and they did it by phone. NOt sure if that had had anything to do with number?
    Your order number is 21865, placed 02/03/2011 at 10:43AM
    Code Item Qty Price Grand Total
    ET-732 Maverick Remote ET-732 Smoker Thermometer
    1 $59.99 $59.99
    DSC-54 $5.00 Order Confirmation Discount
    1 -$5.00 -$5.00

Subtotal: $54.99
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping Cost: $7.99
    Grand Total: $62.98

• Denbbq
    Denbbq Posts: 84
    Just talked to Yard and Pool. The DSC-54 is their internal code. The code you need to put on your order to get the 5$ discount is PDYPCC55
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    just fyi on the power switch thing...

they weren;t ever meant to be turned off. you can't use that battery up any time soon. i have a digital clock that has been running next to forever (easily 8 years) off a single AA battery. and that runs 24/7

they put the new power switch on the outside to placate the users who were worried about something the engineers never saw as a problem :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2Fategghead
    That there was the best thing to do in my opinion. Give them a call and see what they can do for you. ;)

Thanks for the code and I plan to get one some day. For now I will use my ET-73 until it takes a crap because I have extra probes...
  • I turn mine off after each use, but you have a good point.
    I still have the original 'foreign' batteries in both units that came with them 5 years ago!
  • Just ordered mine. Thanks for the coupon code as it's not listed on their website, $62.98 including delivery.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Not sure. To sync I think receiver is to be turned on first. Would have to turn transmitter off to make that happen?
  • can the new one be used in the rain?
  • 2Fategghead
    If it was me I would protect it from the puring rain. I have the ET-73 and I egg under a carport so never really had it in the rain. I have seen where others have theirs protected in some way. ;)