Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remote thermometers - routing the cable?

Da Kine Green BBQ
Da Kine Green BBQ Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How does one route the cables coming out of the BGE? The instructions say something about not crushing the cable.... I stuck a drill bit under the lid to prop it open. But is that necessary?

I am thinking about adding an extra layer of gasket in a small spot to accomodate the wires.

This is the new Maverick ET-732.....

Any thoughts on this?

8a6aa3f6.jpg

6fd0577e.jpg

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I close the dome on top of the base with the cables coming out of the egg. I never shim the dome and base to keep the egg from crushing the cables. Although I do route my cables out of the egg so as not to be in the path of high heat if possible. If I'm using a plate setter I place one of the legs of the plate setter where I have the cables coming out of the egg. Sometimes you can't help the way the cable has to come out of the egg and the new Et-732 is suppose to have better probe cables to with stand higher heat than the old Et-73. :)
  • I know the manual says to not crush the cable, and a closed lid on a BGE with gasket will not do that.

I would shy away fron the drill bit idea as you run the risk of cooking the gasket or letting more air in which will make temp control a real pain.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    there is a weak spot under the band in that area, i wouldnt put the drill there :whistle:m y old maveric i just hand the wires out and close the egg, i have no gasket cushioning it, they burnt off years and years ago. is that a fixed crack in the base
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Go with these suggestions. I've done the same thing over the last 18 months without a problem. Some people swear by the ET-73 and some people have had problems. My own experience is positive.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Just run it down through the daisy wheel. ;)
  • I wrap my probe wires with aliminum foil, and allow the foil to extend through the gasket. This has a slight cushioning effect on the wires, I have found, and protects them from the heat.
  • I wrap my probe wires with aliminum foil, and allow the foil to extend through the gasket. This has a slight cushioning effect on the wires, I have found, and protects them from the heat.
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Like the others I do not place anything to provide a gap for the probes. It is unneccesary. Do not drop the lid on the probe wire and you will be fine. Also like howmeisterg I foil my probes.

IMG_8132.jpg
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    I don't use anything to cushion the cables without any problems.
    BTW; Looks like the base of your egg was broke into a few different pieces buy the looks of those repaired cracks, did it get dropped?
  • I've been looking at picking up a remote thermometer. Working for Apple, I recently saw this thing called the iGrill come into inventory. Haven't heard much about it. I'm a pretty tech savvy kind of guy and having an iPhone, the iGrill has a pretty cool app interface.

Anywho, if I decide to pick one up, I will be sure to post pics and let you all know how it works out.

Here's a link if you want check out the iGrill.

http://www.igrillinc.com/
  • Bagger722 wrote:
    I've been looking at picking up a remote thermometer. Working for Apple, I recently saw this thing called the iGrill come into inventory. Haven't heard much about it. I'm a pretty tech savvy kind of guy and having an iPhone, the iGrill has a pretty cool app interface.

Anywho, if I decide to pick one up, I will be sure to post pics and let you all know how it works out.

Here's a link if you want check out the iGrill.

http://www.igrillinc.com/
    I saw that, too, but went with the ET-732 instead - more features. Let us know how it works out.
  • The Maverick cables are much tougher than you can imagine. I crushed my cables under the lid of a WSM for about 7 years. The lid on the WSM forces the cables to bend in a "U" shape under the lid on straight metal. Never replaced either probe. I've now been closing them in the egg for about 7 months. The egg is MUCH gentler on the cables that the WSM would ever be. Never used foil. The original probes are still going strong!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Thanks for the reply - and yes, when she was 2 days old, I lifted it to put into my table.... It wasn't too heavy, it is jus awkward to lift, as in - where do you grab?

So, I had the thing by the bottom vent and the lid.... The bands were loose, and the lid popped off.

Bonked onto the concrete from about 6 inches. Luckily, the outer shell is still intact. I think the black BBQ patch stuff is only a ceramic paint, but she cooks well.

NOTE:
    I used a ratchet and socket to tighten the nuts on the band - stupidly, I should have used my DEEP socket, since the bolt ran longer than the standard socket.
  • Beaker -
    Thanks for the picture - always worth 1,000 words! I see the grill sensor is closer to the meat (a ham? Looks nice!) than what I did.

I was thinking about putting foil around the cables, but I thought placing the foil on the grill - like a heat shield - would be OK. Here is a picture on the inside of my setup:

bfc289d5.jpg
  • OH!!! That sounds easier than I thought!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    That method makes a lot more sense. But I'd still take'er down the daisy. ;)
  • fishlessman wrote:
    there is a weak spot under the band in that area, i wouldnt put the drill there :whistle:m y old maveric i just hand the wires out and close the egg, i have no gasket cushioning it, they burnt off years and years ago. is that a fixed crack in the base

YEAH, I dropped my Large on like the second day I had it... My dealer was out of stock on the table, and I couldn't wait to cook on it. Table came in and I dropped it from about 6 inches. The outer shell is still intact, I was lucky. And - she cooks with no problem.

I used some black BBQ repair stuff from Home Depot. It looks more like a ceramic paint - it is thin and comes in a little bottle. But, as I said, the shell is intact. I read about repairing these things, and know that sooner or later the cracks will get bigger (kinda like that crack in the car windshield?), and I will have to replace it some day.....
  • Thanks everyone for the commments. I will take your advice and not worry about the lid crushing the cables.

And I wanna see comments and pictures on the new iGrill - sounds neat!