Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disaster Preparedness

Options
eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I prepared for the upcoming ice storm. My number one priority was to prepare the egg so that it would not freeze shut! I placed parchment paper under the ceramic cap and along the edges of the dome per the recommendation on the forum. I've stocked up on food and hope that I won't have to go into work tomorrow.

IMG_5965.jpg

Here's a pic of a branch on the crabapple treefrom this afternoon. We are expected to get much more ice this evening and into tomorrow.

IMG_5948-1.jpg

Ice on the birdfeed.

IMG_5959.jpg

An icey rain is now pouring and the wind is blowing.
I can now hear the ice cracking off of the trees and tree limbs have been crashing. My lights are dimming intermittently, hopefully I will not lose my power. Two years ago I lost 14 trees to Hurricane Ike, I hope I don't lose any old growth trees to this storm. :( Sure wish we were getting snow instead of ice. :unsure:

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Man, that's some ICE you have there!!! Already! Hope that's the worst of it.

From a cooking perspective... you need a mini - and a fireplace! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    looks like your all set and reminds me of getting ready for a hurricane meat √ lump √ beer and ice √ :laugh:
    Hope everyone fares well but I'll take the heat anytime
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Hunker down Rebecca. I really hope you don't loose those great old trees.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Rebecca - I hear you about the ice and yes that is scary and damaging - OTOH here in central Illinois our forecast is 16 to 22" of snow by tomorrow and the weight of that coupled with the high winds we are having scares me. At least our utilities are all underground so no flickering. Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hang in there Rebecca! I do have to say it is pretty from 2000 miles away. we were supposed to head out for MO tomorrow but guess we are grounded :(
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Rebecca, I am crossing my fingers for you and all the northern eggheads in the storms way.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Good luck, ice is the worst. We are preparing here in NNJ, but not as bad. We had a whole house generator installed this past summer after the black out last year. It's natural gas and will power the entire house, so it would be interesting to see what happens, but it's almost like insurance - you're glad you have it, but never want to use it!
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Welcome to an Atlanta "snow storm". We always get ice and very little snow and everyone gives us grief about not being able to handle it or drive in it. I imagine y'all will be smart and avoid driving around in all this gunk.

Be safe and eat well.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Hang in there, Rebecca! I sure hope your power stays on. We're just getting rain and some pretty strong wind here in No. GA. Keep us posted on your progress......
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Rebecca makes me feel cold just looking at your photos, the landscape is beautiful is it still Dayton? Certainly looks like you've got your priorities in the right order. Eggs first :laugh: Next thing is Keep warm Since i've only been snowed in once while in England don't really know what you do in those situations. Just curious, What is it like. Do you eat all
    Day? :woohoo: I'd go crazy if I had to stay indoors a whole day :ohmy:Whatever you do please stay safe. Keep us informed
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Rebecca,
    Kay and I are hoping that you weather the storm well, please keep us posted and stay warm.
    Jupiter Jim and KayNOcook :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    Keep the kiddies n pets indoors tonight!

Denver's high of -1 degree on Tuesday is the coldest maximum temperature on record for February 1.

The old record was 2 degrees set in 1985. The ice fog around the area will clear as the night goes on.

A Wind Chill Advisory is in effect until 9 a.m. Wednesday for wind chill equivalent temperatures of -10 to -30 degrees.

By dawn winds will be calm in the Denver area with record cold temperatures from -23 to -18 degrees.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Bobby, anyone who gives you grief about driving in ice... has never driven in ice. Give me 2' of snow before ANY amount of ice any day. It's the whining about a whopping 2" of SNOW that makes us roll our eyes. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Hang it there ;) Hope nobody looses power.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    The best way to prepare for it is to move further south than it goes. :whistle: This year we were not far enough south. :ermm:
    Hope you get through it unscathed.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Rebecca and all our northern friends, I hope everyone comes out of this with little or no damage or problems so to speak. We have hurricanes and you have ice and snow storms. I must admit, I do like the idea some of you have with the mini in the fire place.

Best of luck.
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    Hi Rebecca!

We live about 1 hr 30 minutes away from you and have the exact same weather. We have our eggs covered but we can't reach them due to the ice.

Good luck and STAY SAFE! Our lights have been flickering all night.
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Rebecca - Still raining here in Mason but temp is up to 34 deg. Hopefully we will start to melt a little of the ice. The warmer air should be up your way before the night is out. Hang in there.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

My thoughts will be with you and all my other friends up north Rebecca. I hope all is well in the end.

Blair

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Good LUCK! Snow is a pain but ICE??? YUCK!!! :blink: Hope everything goes as well as possible! :pinch:
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    I hope all goes well Rebecca, It;s been a pretty eventful winter already up here. :)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I'll take two feet of snow over ice any day. Angela had to go in this morning and tomorrow. Probably gonna be worse tomorrow. I'll be up at 430 clearing her van off so she can leave really early.

Did you see the sky light up around 7? The transformers across from the Speedway on Dorothy around Wilmington went. I could see the flashing in the sky from my place and our power went out for a few seconds. My FIL watched the thing burn. He said it was an amazing thing to watch. Good thing seeing he is without juice and not watching any TV now :woohoo:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Ice sucks. I'll give you that. I was lucky and was off today. Tomorrow is another story. Working at a hospital in the kinda weather sucks.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Oh my Rebecca - sure hope the storm passes quickly and your trees are spared. Ice is never a good thing! Be safe (and I'll be praying you are spared of the worst of it).... :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Sorry to hear that. The pictures are pretty though. Once in a while I put parchment paper in between the dome and base also.

It's cold out here right now but no snow or ice (for now).

Be safe...

Kent
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Got this NASA shot from the huffington post,, WOW

MID-WEST-SNOWSTORM.jpg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Remember when they made fun of us???Seriously,I hope ALL are well and safe! ;):)
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    You have done well and should have no problems. Enjoy the arctic cook. It is amazingly fun to cook in the worst weather when others are suffering indoors and you can produce a wonderful meal outdoors. Remindw me of when I lived in Alaska. Winter was a major part of the year and we just learned to deal with it, not run from it. Enjoy. :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Hey Rebecca
    Hope everything is alright there
    Things are just starting to hit here
    Stay warm and safe :)

Shane
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Yikes. Gotta hate the ice storms. Give me a blizzard any day.

I kept our egg from freezing shut by putting a brisket in it...worked like a charm!