Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THANKS Zippy!! Provolone!

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A while back, Marc posted one of his creative cooks and one of the ingredients was provolone. I commented that I found that to be a very bland cheese and he suggested that I should try some good Italian stuff, that if all I had ever had was from the deli counter, I would be amazed. Well, I don't get out much :) and if I have ever had anything other than the deli version, I didn't realize it was provolone.

So, yesterday, I found some Auricchio Provolone Stravecchio from Cremona (northern) Italy, aged for 18 months-no idea if that's a long time for cheese-and I bought a small package. Man, what a difference!!! FLAVOR! Quite sharp actually. Good stuff!!

Broccoli and provolone tonight!! Will have to see what I have to go with that, 'cuz I am not going out in this weather for a grocery run!!

Thanks, Marc!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Michael, I remember that post. Like you I have never tried good Provolone cheese. That Marc he sure knows a lot of food stuff. ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i always have them add some american to the provolone just to addd some flavor :laugh: honestly, provolone and or swiss taste like cardboard to me, not that cardboard tastes bad :laugh: ive tried different swiss cheeses and i just dont get it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    You really should try some, very flavorful! I found mine in the grocery store - didn't have to go to an Italian market. Though maybe they have even better stuff.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    I find that Cheez-Whiz or Velveeta works best as a provolone flavor enhancer. :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Michael H.:

Please try an imported Swiss like "Le Gruyere." Just like Auricchio provolone has a lot more sharp bite and real flavor than the bland American versions, real Swiss has a lot deeper richness and flavor than American Swiss, more even than Jarlsberg. Melted under the broiler on French onion soup, or in cheese fondue, it's out of this world.

Carolina Q is right on the money!

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Michael, the auricchio stravecchio is about as good as it gets. 18 months is a good long time for aging, though it can go longer as well. In the picture in the link to dibrunos below, you can see the cracks on the interior, that is the money right there.

http://www.dibruno.com/auricchio-provolone-stravecchio.html

Dibrunos house of cheese started out on the italian market, 9th street in south philly. That's where to get the real experience. Tiny little shop, 100 people stuffed in there all the time:

http://www.dibruno.com/locations/italian-market

a few years ago they went 'upscale' & added a gigantic second location in center city, more like a supermarket of cheese, imported meats, salads, packaged goods, sandwhiches, bakery... it's really good, but lacks the feel of the original:

http://www.dibruno.com/locations/rittenhouse-square
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Carolina Q
    Wow! $20 a pound!! Mine was $15 and I thought THAT was expensive!! Dibruno's looks great - and I'll bet it SMELLS even better!!! There's a market around the corner from my son's place in Brooklyn that has a huge cheese selection similar to theirs. I will have to spend more time there next time I visit.

There used to be a Little Italy in the south end of Hartford, but it just ain't the same now. One Italian market (with a limited selection of, well, anything) and a few pastry shops are about all that are left from the heyday. Too bad.

Anyway, thanks again for the awakening! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    i think that is the top of the line age-wise, it may be different than what you found in that regard. I don't always get it, their house aged is excellent as well. Fortunately there is no shortage of excellent imported cheese in & around Philly, so I don't have to go there to get 90% of what I'm looking for. Most good supermarkets in the burbs have very well stocked imported cheeses.

I'm glad to hear you found something new, now do yourself another favor & make a porchetta to sample the provolone on & you'll really be livin
    happy in the hut
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Looking like you guys got some serious ice comin your way..
  • Carolina Q
    Marc, are you trying to add a vowel to the end of my name?! :laugh: The porchetta did look really good though! It's on my list.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I just ordered 10 pounds. I hope it's as good as you say.
  • Carolina Q
    10 pounds??!!!! I bought HALF a pound!!! Hope you have a good vac sealer!!!

Also hope you like it! Otherwise, Marc and I will never hear the end of it!!! :blink:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I just used zippy's credit card number I lifted off him last year while he was passed out.

(I didn't really order anything, but I signed up for their newsletter. They sent me a 10% coupon already).
  • Carolina Q
    Check your local grocery store (but not the deli counter). The difference really is night and day! Cardboard vs FLAVOR!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Lordy, that was good!! Garlic and broccoli sautéed in evoo. Linguini. Some slivers of Italian GOLD (the provolone) drizzled with a bit more evoo. And some garlic toast. Not as creative or elaborate as Zip's cook, but man, it was GOOD!!!

Will never buy deli provolone again!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Man I miss the 9'th street market, as kids we would walk there from my grandmothers house
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I'm gonna get some of that and make a Provo'Loney sammich! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)
  • Zippylip
    Michael, the creations are highly over-rated, what you've described is about as good as food gets; simple, good ingredients, I'll have something similar to what you described thursday night & that'll be the highlight of the week. By the way, don't completely abandon the deli counter for provolone. Next time you're in the supermarket, ask if they have picante provolone. Depending on what they have, you may be able to get a product that has good flavor like what you just bought, but isn't quite as dry so it will melt well. Take a look at this post, I used this on the sandwhiches, excellent. As for the real mild stuff, it does have its uses (it melts very well, gives good stretch, good texture). What it lacks in flavor can be enhanced by adding a good grated pecorino:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=854234&catid=1
    happy in the hut
  • Carolina Q
    pervert :laugh: :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Zippylip wrote:
    Michael, the creations are highly over-rated

Well, I don't know about that. They usually look real good to me! :)

If you keep this up, even I might learn a few things! Thanks for all of your suggestions! Will definitely start looking for better cheeses!!!!!!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    that should keep you out of the loney aisle :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    No worries there.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Provo'Loney sammiches ROCK! ;) :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Dude, if you put THIS provolone on your loney, you won't even taste the loney!! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Oh YEAH! It will compliment the complexities of the cheeze. ;) :laugh: :P It will be served on Buttered ,Toasted Homemade Sourdough bread no less!With Horseradish,Dijon mayo! :S :blink: :laugh:
  • Hoss
    BTW,I have been called worse. :P :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    whaddaya mean? what's wrong with bein' a perv? :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    :laugh: B) NOW THAT"S FUNNY!!! :P