Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stay safe and keep the fires going,

Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Because here it comes.
Winterstorm20100001.jpg

To all my egghead Brothers and Sisters in the snow path, hunker down and be safe!

Comments

• Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    If we lose power, we can still eat great. Thanks, you be safe as well.
  • Seems that by the forecast, we in Northern MN will dodge that one. B) However, the Twin Cities (about 200 miles South) have been getting snow all day, with more to come.
    What we have going on tonight and forecast for the next few days, is a wind-chill in the -30 even -40 F. range :ohmy: .
    Just got home from work and I can tell you first hand that the wind is picking up and it is darn cold outside....I just put three more logs on the fire!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Yea even hear in the South its going to be nasty for us. Been in the mid 70's for a bit and today's high in low 60's dropping to mid 20's tonight and 15-25 mph wind. No white stuff but nasty to us wooses none the less! :pinch:
  • Early dismissal here in Northern Jersey. We won't get the worst of it, though. Stay safe, everyone!
  • Clay Q
    Mr. Potatohead,
    That's the story here, the big snow is just south of me as well. RRP is going to get hit. I think he has enough lump to get him though this storm, always prepared. Good thing he has a couple of eggs to cook on, it's survival mode. ;)
    A few pic's I took this morning. Time to get the snowthrower out.
    Winterstorm20110003.jpg

Winterstorm20110005.jpg
    Stay warm!
  • Well, the snow they forecast for us was supposed to be 2-4 inches last night...turned out to be less than one. So I suppose it's possible that the 12-24 inches they're forecasting for tonight-tomorrow will actually be less than 6, right? I hope not. Bring it on! I've got my brisket rubbed and sitting in the fridge. I'm hoping for an early commute home today, and a day at home tomorrow. They're saying we could get thundersnow, which I've never seen. I've got a few bags of lump, some wood chunks, and a whole lot of meat.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    im just hoping no rain, i see alot of ice dams forming on the eves. plenty of coal in the front yard to get me thru til spring :)

008-4.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Ben,
    Hey that sounds great, you got a plan. I hope the brisket turns out the best ever. I'll be following in your footsteps for Super Bowl with a brisket.
    A day off of work = a day on the egg.

Be careful out there my friend. Those Chicago drivers...you know what I'm sayin. :S
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    2-1-11weatherpage.jpg

... ZERO that is. Here is the weather page from early this morning. Yes those are minus temps..... The wind chill values are the real concern pushing -40°.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    hit - 27 last week at camp, nipped a water pipe but not bad. if there was wind i would of had big problems, hate winter wind
    fukahwee maine

• Clay Q
    Mr. Flyfish,

Nothin says warmth like a glowing coal fire!
    Yeah, I hear ya, I'd rather have snow any day. Freezing rain is bad, just plain bad. Looks like record snows for the New England area...again. You don't care, you got a FJY.
    Stay warm my friend. ;)
  • Clay Q
    Is Casper in the Artic Circle? :ohmy:
    Be careful out there. Better yet, stay home and cook. :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Be safe all, I'll try and send a little of this southern sunshine your way
    Wayne, 20-40 below wind chills???? guess you don't have much use for a poolman in your neighborhood :huh: :pinch:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I'm sorry, but no self-respecting weatherman should use "fair" and "-20" in the same forecast.

I was in Minneapolis a couple years ago in January and it was in the -20s. I felt my nostrils freezing shut and my face hurt from the cold within a few minutes.

Then I saw people riding bikes to work and walking down the street (this was in downtown). Goes to show the body does acclimate, at least somewhat, to such extremes.
  • The first wave just started here. this is what it looked like before the snow started:
    IMG_1837.jpg
    I use the snowblower to clear a parking space in front of my house, so don't be fooled by that bare pavement. that's all snowblower and sun! the snowbank on the left is over 6'-0" tall and I had to shovel it down last night to make sure the snowblower can reach it. the snowbanks on my wall are probably higher than that from the sidewalk.
    IMG_1839.jpg
    I also clear the sidewalk for the mailman. not all of my neighbors are as considerate.

We are supposed to have 2 waves, one today 6"-9" and one tomorrow with possibly more than twice that and maybe wet. Wet snow is a killer to move, hopefully we won't get the wet stuff (Just the guys on the south shore :lol: !
    I'm excited to see how it's going to look on Thursday- maybe I can pick up some ribs today to grill tomorrow when I stay home for the big storm!
  • Looks like DirtyBurger on the South side, and RRP and the Peoria boys could get it worse than me.

If you check out the snowfall totals in the bottom right graphic, my house is right on the outer edge of the 16" zone, basically dead center of the graphic. Peoria is the far bottom left corner, inside the 20" area to the southwest.
    FEATGRAPH020111.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    nice shack, bob. too bad i know that's the mayor's house. trying to pass that off as yours. tesk. tsk.

really is a great looking place.

h left for school at 7:30 on dry pavement, like in your photo. we have almost 4 inches over here now. i wonder if they'll call school early? :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    theres alot of snow happening, im in the 20 to 25 inch band, hoping they are wrong and we get more :woohoo:
    fukahwee maine

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Wayne, -33 this morning when I got up. Same storm.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    so far the forecast is a bust here too. We got 1" overnight and the Peoria school district called off school today!!! It's just now starting to snow again here only 6 hours later than the prediction. We went to bed last night when the local stations were scaring people a dire warning of 12 to 18". We'll see!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CPS is saying they are going to consider it. I never thought I would see the day. I hope they don't call it, I would much rather come in tomorrow and have no kids so I can catch up on my work, aka post pics of a bunch of cooks.
  • + 17 F with lite snow over light ice at 8 am
    same system
  • No thanks!!
    Hope you keep your chin warm ;)
  • hear ya loud and clear!
    sure hope the Ground Hog predicts a quick end to this stuff B)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I think I spoke too soon - it was supposed to start at 6 AM but didn't until noon. Since then we've easily had an inch an hour and the howling wind is already causing drifting as well. Entirely different than when we walked our daily 2 miles this morning!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • If it's six hours late here, I will get on my flight in the morning.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Nah... THIS is cold!

cartoon%2B-%2Bfreezing%2Bass%2Boff.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I tried to hunker down Clay. Last night, I procured plenty of food and made plans to light a fire, relax, and bake bread. Unfortunately, much to my surprise this morning, they didn't close the department today, so I inched my way into work and back home. I had put the bread dough I mixed at 5am in the garage for a slow rise while I was at work, and retrieved it was I got home.......so I'll have bread tonight. I'm still holding out hope that I'll get to hunker down tomorrow, as they have offically called a weather emergency at the hospital. Lots of ice and icreasing winds here....sure wish we got all that snow instead of ice.
    Stay warm!
  • We are being crippled by accumulating ice here. :(

Would prefer snow. Everyone stay safe!