Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping for the storm

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All winter long, the storms have missed Chicago. An inch of snow here, three inches there, but nothing major. Turns out we're overdue, and will be getting it all at once. On the way home from work this afternoon, I'll be picking up a brisket, in anticipation of not being able to make it to work on Weds. Since I'm getting a cow belly, I figure I might also pick up a pig belly, and finally make some bacon.

Anyone else prepping for the storm?

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Good planning Ben, keep warm
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ben,

It's been kinda routine. Get up, brush teeth, shovel or blow drive, shower, shave....

I say BRING IT ON! lets make things interesting around here. :laugh:
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    They're talking about Top 5 Chicago snow-storm material here. Gonna be fun. Our last big one was New Year's of '99, so it's been a while. I love storms, and am looking forward to this one...I'm also looking forward to finally cooking a brisket.
  • field hand
    Options
    No special prep except for bringing in the small and covering the xl. The freezing rain has just started, 9am in STL area. Expecting 1/2" of ice and about a foot of snow. May be a day or two before the eggs get fired up.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    From Iowa but in Ca. visiting my sister. I know what mid west storms can do so stay safe. Sound like the wind chills are going to be bad I hate it when the wind hurts. Brisket in a blizzard that should be fun.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Ick. The ice is the worst part. Thankfully, we aren't supposed to get any of that. My brother is in west-central Indiana, and right on the edge of the forecast ice band. Hopefully it will miss them. Give me two feet of snow any day, just no ice, please.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ben,

Same in Toronto this year. We are supposed to be flying out Wednesday morning.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Ouch. Good luck with that. The weather maps for Weds show half the continent getting hit with some form of precipitation.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yeah they are calling for a foot here now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    It's been freezing rain here in eastern Nebraska. Tried to get out this morning, but the roads were like a skating rink. We're supposed to start getting snow later today, into Wednesday morning...about 8 inches.

Oh well, at least it's not as bad as last year!

fc ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Good luck with the storm Everyone! I loved them when I lived in New England. If your going to have a winter you might as well make it a good one. Back then I had an old Jeep Wagoneer with snow tires all the way around and driving in the storms was a pleasure, even fun.

An old friend up near Boston emailed me this . . .
    snow_map.jpg

I'm emailing this back to her . . . :laugh:
    WeatherWidget1.jpg

We make up for it in the summers wondering if we are going to be blown off the map by a hurricane. I think that no matter where you live there is some event that can spoil a perfectly good day. Even SoCal has it's earthquakes and June Gloom when the fogs roll in to think about.

Have a great day All,

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Ben, Did you find a fresh pig belly to make bacon? Just wondering how much per pound if you don't mind me asking. I have been checking pricing and availability. So far I found $2.59 but, it's been salted so, I don't want it. Tim
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Not yet. I'm about to go grab some lunch, and will start making phone calls to the butchers in the area. I'll let you know what I hear.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I heard the ice is supposed to be bad north of us in MO. Hope they are wrong. We have had some devastating ice storms down here the past 15 years. Cold weather and no power is not a good combo.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    If the weather is too perfect where we live then most of us probably could not afford to live there.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Beer....check
    shoulder thawing....check
    fresh bag of lump....check

Snow day on Wednesday.....ah, check :evil:

Shane
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Shane,

Beer is always #1 on the list of a good Canuck!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I only found one butcher nearby with pork belly in stock. Their price is $2.99/lb...but to give you an idea of their pricing, their untrimmed brisket was quoted at $6.98/lb...ouch. Still, they're near another butcher who has brisket in stock at $3.98/lb, so since I can get belly from them today, and brisket from the other guy at a somewhat reasonable price, I'll probably take it.

I did find cheaper brisket, but it's way out of my way, and that place doesn't have pork belly in stock.

On the way to the place that has the brisket is an asian market. I'm going to stop in and see if they have belly. I'll let you know if I find a better price.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks Ben. Dern I can buy bacon for $3. a pound and up. I may have to go with BBB or go the canuck way and get some loins. ;)
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    You know, it's been a while since I've bought grocery-store bacon, so I haven't been looking at prices. But I was with family this weekend, and they were commenting that the price of bacon has been fluctuating wildly in the past several weeks. $3-4 per pound one week, and $7-8 per pound a few weeks later.

I found bacon at the asian market for $2.09/lb, but the actual piece I got turned out to be pretty disappointing. They did have very nice pieces on the shelf, but they were in 2" pieces. I asked for a whole belly, and when I got it home, it still had the skin on, and it was VERY lean. If I go there again, I'll ask to see the belly before they remove the ribs and package it for me.