Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CL strikes again...

Cobra
Cobra Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend I scored a hardly used BGE chiminea for $200 on Craigslist, tonight I scored a large from around 2004 in a nest for $220. It needs a new gasket, and doesn't have a rain cap, but otherwise its in good shape. I couldn't believe it worked out, I figured it was a scam or some piece of crap, but it appears I got lucky. I may clean it up and see if a friend of mine wants it, I have been trying to convert him for a while, and a cheaper used one may be the way to get it done.

The nest is different than the current model, and the hinge is not one I have seen before, its not a spring hinge, but not what I would consider the original with the catch just on one side. I will try to post pictures tomorrow, to see if anyone has seen these before.

Keep on egging...

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    If the hinge looks like this one, it is original BGE..but this is from 2001...not to say someone couldn't have bought a new egg in 2004 and it just been older stock..

f29.jpg
  • Cobra
    Thats it, except its not yellow. The handle is just all black, I also found a little info on a website somewhere, maybe naked whiz, that it is called an autolock hinge?

Thanks for your input.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    that's exactly what it was called...worked fine..just tied up one hand for opening...and unknowing people would try to force it closed and break things..which BGE had to replace under warranty..hence the "spring hinge" easier user format ..less warranty claim..and as of late I truly belive it's more the warranty claim than user convenience that BGE really cares about..there's a sad state of affairs in the future..Confusious say..I really wish I understood his language better...
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    AMEN Brother! It's a scary road ahead. ;)
  • Cobra
    Sad to hear that you all have concern. I was talking to my dealer last week about the price increases. I suppose I understand that business need to make money, and continually grow, but you need to maintain customer base at the same time. I personally have never had a need to work with the mothership directly, but my local dealer is great, he has loaned me a XL guru adapter on multiple occasions, and even offered to loan me his personal platesetter while waiting for mine to arrive. Its things like this that help the company as a whole, but at what point does one have to say I cant afford to have a great product even if they do have good customer service.

When is a company greedy versus maintaing growth?