Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home Theater/Media Room?

AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Has anyone here built a dedicated home theater room or converted a basement or garage to a media room with a projector and a screen. Would love a 120 inch screen for my sports addiction. Just curious as to your thoughts and if it is worth all the expense.

Attempting to try to convince the wife but would have to be a mostly DIY project. Want to convert the garage to a media/bar area. But would want to build a carport for covered parking. But have to find the funds from somewhere, LOL!!!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    My wife's cousin converted a room in the basement to a media room. He put sound proof insulation, theatre multi level seating (2 rows of 4 seats & a couch on the front row), movie projector attached to the ceiling, theatre style sconce (sp?) lighting, a 120 inch drop down screen, theatre curtains & a popcorn cart. It was a great room to watch movies, sports, etc....when they sold the house the media room sold the house for them...it was the one feature that the couple who bought the house totally loved....it became the best selling feature they had...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Here is the one stike built in his place:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1018236&catid=12

And here is how we do it down here in the South, a garage conversion:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1018270&catid=12

My neighbors converted their second garage into a media room much like the one in stike's post above. Looks terrific but I've never spent any time in it to give any decent feedback. I don't know that I personally would use a room like that often enough to justify the expense involved.
  • Fidel the garage conversion was too funny. That is what I am trying to avoid, LOL. Stike's is totally out of my price range. Just hard for me to crank up the volume on movies or sports since the LR is close to all the sleeping areas in our house. Not really into the dedicated Home theater, more of a glorified family romm type look.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    'mine' is some pic off the web that I copied and pasted
    That room is bigger than my house hahahaa
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ever the humble one eh? I've been to your place remember.

blithewood_mansion_1.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    That would the guest house

I wanted to make sure you were 'ok' before I took you up to the main house

Next time you come down
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I want to put one in our playroom. I'd love to know what you come up with as to where to get the best deal on equipment. I can put things up and do some wiring but still have to buy the components. I want to find the best deal, etc. out there. I too would like a minimum of 100 inch screen.
  • Memphisque, I have been reading alot about it on avsforum.com. Lots of good info. Some pics of some really nice home theaters and media rooms. Seems the best deal on projectors are online at projectorpeople or projectorcentral and visual apex.

Screens are a touchy subject as I am just now learning about all of this. From what I have read most wish they would have went with a bigger screen than they originally installed, I am thinking 120 inch.

How big is the play room you are planning to convert and is it going to be a dedicated home theater or a media/family type room.

Hope this helps if you have any questions you can email me but I am by no means a expert.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    AlwaysGolf,

Home Theater could be an addition just like egging.

I built myself a Home Theater. It's is a dedicated room in the basement, built from scratch, insulated, surround sound, currently 5:1 but all the wires are present for more. I have a projector with 108" screen. The 108” is combination off the width of the room at the front, distance between the chairs and the screen and also the height of the screen (eye level, mainly for the second row). I used the Goo system for the screen with the original plan to add a "real screen" if the quality was not sufficient, never had to, so I would recommend the Goo system. I also have theater seats, 2 rows of 4 seats each.

Good Luck

Marc
    Marc
  • I'll check out those sites. I have a lot of studying to do re equipment. I had heard the prices have been coming down. The room is fairly large but will also be a kids playroom for many more years. I could definitely fit a 120 inch screen and have plenty of room for seating away from the screen. Thanks
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I helped a friend finish his basement and we build a very nice theater room. It has a 120 inch 1080p projector with a very good surround sound. (even one in the bathroom so you don't miss anything) The screen is motorized with a 52 in lcd behind it for gaming. He has 6 motorized recliners with the back row higher. It is very nice watching movies there. It is worth the money since he paid for it. :lol:
  • Now THAT's funny! :laugh:
  • I built one years ago in the basement, but it just had a 61" HD-ready TV, not a projector. The dirty little secret of HT is that you can build a serviceable system for not a huge amount of money. In fact, what would have cost you $10,000 a decade ago you can get today - with improved performance - for less than half of that.

A good resource for advice from like-minded folks can be had at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/. I used to spend hours there, and folks are happy to help any and all comers, not unlike the Egg Forum.
  • Great website...thanks.
  • Happy to help. Gotta have something to do while we eat our 'cue. :woohoo:
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Okay, I dug up an oldie-moldie thread, but this seemed like the best place to post.

My good friends Chuck & Angela got a segment on a Home Theater channel, and they have a beautiful loft in KC (KS, or MO, doesn't matter, they're both flat).  Spiral stairway up to the roof, jazz club below, archery range in their hallway, and a beautiful home theater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmHjwGYK0M&t=1173s

I've been to their first "suburban" home theater, and it was impressive as hell (and where I learned to love colored-glass firepits).  I'm not a fan of "found-object" art, but their robot pieces were pretty cool.  

This 20-minute video will only be of interest to loft and home-theater fans, but I know there's a few of us here.  Enjoy!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure