Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt Risen Bread???

Options
milesofsmiles
milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Haven't seen or tasted in many years. Has anyone see any or bakes some? Any recipes out there? Thanks Ronnie. :):):)

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    Sorry, found it thru Google. My Bad. :):):)
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Where are you from originally?

Salt risen (or salt rising) bread was a delicacy staple as I was growing up, in West Virginia.

Where do you live now? I had heard there's a country bakery in Mt. Morris, PA that bakes & sells it...

ahhhhhh, the memories of that salty, sour taste as it was toasted & then putting Co-Coa Wheats on top.... :woohoo:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Born in the shadow of Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tn. I now reside in upstate of South Carolina, in the hugh shadow of Bente. :):):) The salt risen bread was / is mighty taste. I might try to do some, Takes a lot of steps. Best to order a loaf to rekindle the taste buds.
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    Options
    Here's my "simplified" recipe - made to please my West Virginia mother-in-law.

SALT-RISING BREAD
    Adapted from Bread Winners, Mel London - 1979

Mix, cover tightly and let stand @ 24 hours:*
    1½ cups milk, scalded
    ¾ cup white waterground cornmeal
    1½ tsp honey

Put in mixing bowl & stir to dissolve, then let cool:
    4½ cups milk, scalded
    1 ½ Tbsp honey
    2 ¼ tsp salt
    1 ½ tsp baking soda
    4 ½ Tbsp butter

When mixture is lukewarm, add 1 cup at a time:
    7 ½ - 9 cups flour

Add starter and beat 4 – 5 minutes
    Let rise 2 – 3 hours until bubbly and increased in bulk. Will probably take 3 hours.

Add enough flour to make a soft dough
    (6–7 ½ cups)

Knead about 10 minutes
    Shape into 4 loaves (will fill pan ⅓ full
    Cover and let rise @ 1 hour or until doubled
    Bake 375° 45 – 50 minutes

* I wrap the pan in towels and set it on a heating pad on “low.”

The term “salt-rising” originated from the bowl with the starter ingredients being placed inside a larger bowl that was lined with salt to keep the starter warm.

ENJOY - IT'S WORTH THE TIME