Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting time

Options
DaculaEGGer
DaculaEGGer Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did second Boston butt today and used Playing with Fire advice, thanks it was awesome!
Used new thermoneter ET-73 and cooked to 190 internal and pulled. Family would only let me rest for 30 min before they dug in. I wanted at least an hour, how much difference does it make? The termomoters are the best help yet. Thanks for all this great advice.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i only rest when there is a timing issue with a butt, i like the bark more crisp so will eat it as soon as possible
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I certainly want to rest after an all nighter. I recently read somewhere to let a butt rest at least 30 minutes to an hour even though we are pulling it. The last two I did, one didn't rest and the second to come off had a small rest. I think the second one was juicier but I took it off sooner and it got to rest a little. Then, finally, I got some rest!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    30 minute rest is fine. Mine are lucky to get that!!! Nothin' better than pickin' at it as you remove it from the egg!!!

Using a cooler is great - if you finish at 2PM and guests aren't arriving until 6. Otherwise, don't bother.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    I've let them rest for anywhere between 20 minutes and just over two hours. It seems the longer the rest, the better the results.

My last pair of PB came off the BGE at 192°F and about 20 minutes before SWMBO requested :) I run a bunch of errands with her. So, they were double-wrapped in HD Al foil, a towel, and placed in a cooler. We got back a couple of hours later. Measured with my NEW ThermoPen, the internal temp of each was still 160°F. Pulled, they were the juiciest results to date.