Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speaking of Pistachios-Can you smoke w/ the shells

TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had been wondering this and Zippy's post made me decide to post it. When pistachios are cheap I eat a crap load of them. I was wondering, has anyone ever used the shells to flavor say chicken or fish? Do they burn ok? Do you need a lot? Do they give of some poisonous fumes that will take out my mother-in-law (fingers crossed).

If you have done this please let me know how it went
Thanks
tim

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    have had them from a forum member years ago, really good, wish i knew more about how kens doin, just smoke them low and slow, let them rest
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Mike, I just sent you an email - but you might ping RichardFL as he used to run into Ken from time to time - though Ken may have moved back to CO, AZ or some where else by now.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChefAl
    ChefAl Posts: 66
    YES YOU CAN! I have tried this and it works great. I did soak them first and did use a lot of them. I ended up with a light, sweet tasting smoke. Go for it!
  • ChefAl
    ChefAl Posts: 66
    YES YOU CAN! I have tried this and it works great. I did soak them first and did use a lot of them. I ended up with a light, sweet tasting smoke. Go for it!
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I don't see why not. I have never tried it but I have used Hickory nut shells and they provide instant smoke. You can smoke a burger with them!
  • duchunter
    duchunter Posts: 110
    Oops thought we where talking about smoking Pistachios :side: :side: :silly: :blush::blush:

Oh well here is the way i do them>>>>>>>>>>>>

They are awesome smoked here is the recipe I use: (I have a Bradley Smoker that I smoke them for 2 hours)

1 T butter
    3 T pickling liquid from a jar of pickled jalapenos
    3 T green Tabasco sauce (jalapeno)
    1 t Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 t salt
    2 C unshelled pistachio nuts

Bring your smoker to it's appropriate cooking temp.
    In a skillet, melt the butter with the pickling liquid, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces, and salt. Stir in the pistachios and coat well.
    Transfer the pistachios to a shallow, nonreactive, smokeproof dish or piece of heavy-duty foil molded into a small tray.
    Place the nuts in the smoker and cook until dried and fairly crisp, about 50 to 60 minutes at a temperature of 225 degrees Farenheit to 250 degrees Farenheit.
    Transfer the nuts to absorbent paper to cool. Serve them immediately or keep in covered jar for several days.

Egg Family: Large and Medium Eggs and a Bradley Smoker