Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Italiano(?)

Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I set out to try a pseudo Porchetta with 2 pork butts, but after more research I thought I’d do better with a shoulder. So…till next time for mock porchetta.

I still wanted to try something different in the way of rub and flavor….BBQ is wearing the girls out, so I need to mix in some different stuff once in a while. :whistle:

--Took 2 Butts each a little over 6#.

While I usually do a yellow mustard slather on butt cooks, for this one I tried a Dijon mustard…who knows, maybe that’s a mistake? A little chopped garlic sprinkled on top of butts.

Made a rub with a base of Signore Bernardo Savory Poultry (I’m a sucker for the stuff, figured I’d give it a whirl), sea salt, freshly chopped rosemary, dried basil, blk pepper, fennel (ground up some seeds), garlic powder, sweet paprika, onion powder, and powdered lemon juice.

I normally don’t put any liquid in the drip pan, but again, I wanted to shake it up. Used the roasting pan I normally use for a Mad Max Turkey, with a V-Rack inside the pan. Bottom of the pan consisted of red wine, water, chopped onions, garlic cloves, fennel seeds, and 2 sprigs of rosemary.

Platesetter (legs up) with BGE ceramic feet on it, and roasting pan sitting directly on feet. A 260 dome with some Hickory chunks. I’m using the Restaurant blue bag lump for the first time on an overnighter….uh, without a temp controller as usual. :(

I will update on results….

IMG_2619.jpg
IMG_2624.jpg
IMG_2625.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg
Anika just loves the snow!
IMG_2633.jpg

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Jason, How is your butt cook going. You didn't freeze to the snow bank chair did you? :laugh:
    Good looking Shepard with the ears pined back. :)
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    :woohoo: Tim, I actually had ideas on Friday night of building a snow 'prep area/kitchen'. But, I got tired of shoveling for no reason, so I opted to make the chair instead. It does double as a nice beverage chiller!

Butts at just under 180 right now, and I think I'm past the plateau. Added a bit more wine to the roasting/drip pan at about 7:30.

A true testament to 'filling the lump by hand', as I had no problems with temp through the night (and my sleep). Nice large pieces of lump on the bottom, and I made certain the grate holes were not obstructed with the bottom layer of lump. Lump stacked up to the top of the fire ring.

IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Looking good Jason.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE