Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless steel grate

Options
Reverend BSB
Reverend BSB Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stopped by the weekend job today to pick up my check and our egg builder told me that we were getting SS grates with the large eggs. Has anyone else head about this?

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Yes, the stainless steel cooking grid and Tel-Tru thermometers are two of the BGE changes that are effective with the 2/1/2011 price increase.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Interesting, has anyone confirmed how much the price increase is?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Whats the advantage to SS? Forgive my naivete.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I too would like to know the answer to this question. I thought that cast iron would be the biggest difference between the standard grate that has come with the egg for as long as I have been aware of them.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    From what I understand,the reasoning behind the SS over CI is that you get the same effect but do not have to worry about breakage.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    The Grid Police are here!

The grate is down at the bottom of the fire bowl, the thing with the holes that you pile your lump onto.

The grid is the round thing with parallel wires that you cook your food on. It's real confusing in the beginning, but you'll get used to it. Makes it simpler for everyone to be talking about the same thing.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    Way to Go Judy!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Police.jpg
  • markthewood
    Options
    Stainless steel will not rust. It will last almost indefinately. The average fire grate will last maybe 3-5 years. I want one!! I wonder if they will replace my standard firegrate with SS?
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Options
    I was talking to my dealer earlier this week and we were discussing the price increase. Its not a fixed amount across the board, I dont remember specifically, but I think the XL increased around 8-10%, the large was around 12%, and the mini was a crazy amount around 20%. These are all just the best I can remember, no guarantees. I understand that a business has to make money, but were also not talking about a $100 grill, were talking about a grill thats already very expensive.

Although it is a great product in my opinion.
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Options
    The cooking grates are going to be stainless, not the fire grate. I do believe that the fire grate is going to be a cut steel piece instead of a cast piece. This will make it less likely to break over time though.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The advantage of the CI grate is the mass of the metal that gets hot and not the material of construction per se.

When I lived in Mexico, I had a SS grate made out of 1/2" stock and it works great for grill marks, but a grate made from 1/4" bars would be very to tell from the standard grate, IMHO.

The heat capacity of 316 stainless is 0.12, BTU/(lb*ºF)
    That compares to .12 for carbon steel and .11 for cast iron.

Even if you are not familiar with heat capacity and the units shown, the point is that they are essentially the same, so it is the weight/size of the grill rods not the material itself that helps or hurts the ability to make grill marks.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Daaaaaaang! I'm glad I ordered my eggs almost two weeks ago!!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)