Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Were You 25 Years Ago Today..

Options
2»

Comments

• MemphisQue
    Options
    Sitting in a High School class when the news broke.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I was living in Boca Raton, FL. I happened to drive home for lunch that day. I could see the shuttle as it rose in the sky and then smoke was everywhere in the sky. As soon as I got home I turned on the TV and they were saying it had blown up...it was very, very sad... :(
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Landscape Maintenance Shop at Texas Tech University.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    I was working in a hotel, people started coming out of the bar with stunned looks.
    This was a bigger hotel and I still remember how it got really quiet as the news spread.
    Sad day.

Shane
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    In my bedroom watching it on tv
  • Spatchcock
    Options
    I was in 4th grade. My class was on a field trip to the Roger B. Chaffee Planetarium in Grand Rapids, MI. Roger Bruce Chaffee (Feb 15, 1935 – Jan 27, 1967) was a NASA astronaut in the Apollo program. Chaffee was killed along with fellow astronauts Gus Grissom and Ed White during a pre-launch test for the Apollo 1 mission at the Kennedy Space Center.

I remember it happening and the pure horror that something this big happened in my life time. I mean, a space shuttle exploded, and while we didn't view it at the planetarium, the news crews did arrive and were interviewing folks at the planetarium. I was not personally interviewed, but a friend of mine, Ki Young Choi, a Korean immigrant, was interviewed by TV 8. They asked him how he was feeling and he stated that he always wanted to be an astronaut and that basically, while these things are extremely unfortunate, but that is the nature of things and it wouldn't deter him from pursuing his astronaut career.

I never knew what became of Ki Young as he moved back to S. Korea with his family later that year, but what struck me was that even with this catastrophe just happening, he could look past it, and not give up, especially at 9 years old.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    In fifth grade, watching it live with my class. I dont remember why we were watching it, or much after that moment, but seeing it in school like that left a pretty big impression.
  • jkm
    jkm Posts: 8
    Options
    I was a principal in an elementary school in N.H. We had the whole school in the auditorium watching it. I will never forget the horror on all our faces.
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Jetty Park. Haven't watched one live in person since......
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I was crossing a bridge over the freeway on my way to appraise the first house of the day, and was listening to the liftoff on the car radio when the commentator's voice reacted to the horror he was seeing and he kept on describing it with great emotion.

That'll be one of the moments I'll remember with great clarity the rest of my life.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I was in Palm Bay, Fl placing rebar for a pool shell and saw it live overhead. Knew something was wrong but had to turn on the radio before we knew how bad it was. We could also see all the search and rescue planes flying around for most of the day. Sad day and one I will never forget.
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Dang, working in South Tampa, saw it happen a bit after the fact.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    College Park Maryland Ice rink. Ice skating with my girlfriend, now wife of 22 years. Was bitter cold and we heard the news before going into the rink. Saw the video later. Still feel an empty spot in my stomach. Thanks to all those who risk their lives in the name of progress.

Holding one high to the crew.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I was in third grade :blush: but I still remember watching it in school.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Oh John, can't eve imagine how horrible that was and still is for you.
    Just growing up with the Space Program was an emotional shock for those of us who dreamed of one day travelling into space.
    The shuttle disaster is right up there with the shooting of JFK.
    Don't think the young folks of today can really understand that.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Pulled up to a toll booth to get change and the girl was crying so bad she couldn't make change!! Then she asked me if i had heard about the explosion???
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    I believe I was a junior in college...wow, was that really 25 years ago...I feel old too.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I was in a ditch splicing telephone cable when I heard the news on my radio.
  • stevesails
    Options
    i was at a drive through at Mcdonads when I heard it.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Options
    10th grade watching it on TV in History class.