Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

been gone awhile, but i did egg a little something

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
been off the forum for awhile, but always lurking....must have been the post-thanksgiving turkey withdrawal. ...

anyway, had a good christmas season with the wife and kids....our annual vacation out to the beach. . .then the spawn jetted off to london for 3 weeks for a college program....haven't eaten much good during january since all the dough went to her trip ...she of course ate GREAT!! ...fish and chips, shepherd's pie, steak and kidney pie....and during a weekend in paris, escargot and other good stuff . ..

but i did whip up a pretty damn good christmas meal on the egg...roasted bone marrow, prime rib and potatoe pancakes (since sydney had missed channukah at the house, i had to make these for christmas dinner for her....what the hell, they go great with prime rib!!

i went down to union meats and had them cut me some nice sections of bone full of marrow, and picked up a nice little 2-bone prime rib. ...here is the marrow dusted with a little dizzy cow-lick and the roast rubbed with herbs de provence ..

bethany2010101.jpg

here is everything on the egg at around 500 degrees to let the roast sear for about 15 minutes and the bones roast for about 5 minutes per side just to get some flavor in them .....

bethany2010104.jpg

after about 15 minutes i moved everything to my second egg, set at 325 indirect to let the prime rib slow roast till done (about 1 1/2 hours), and the bones slow roast till the marrow was nice and soft inside them (about 20 more minutes)....while this was going on, i set up a skillet on the stove, sauted some shrooms, removed them, then made a sauce of beef demi-glace and beef broth. ....added the bones to that and let them simmer till the roast was finished..

bethany2010105.jpg

pulled the roast at a perfect 125, and while it rested, added the shrooms back to the skillet with the bones and the sauce...

bethany2010107.jpg
bethany2010108.jpg

can't forget the latkes....had them going all the time the other things were going (hey, i'm nothing if not a multi-tasker...

bethany2010106.jpg

and finished on the plates....prime rib was great with the shrooms and sauce on it....and the bone marrow was melt-in-your-mouth delicious, scooped from the bones and smeared on a good fresh baguette!!..great stuff!!!

bethany2010109.jpg

bethany2010110.jpg

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Max, glad to see you back after your TG withdraw.

Loved this post! :) I've done bone marrow on the egg only twice. It is probably my mother's favorite. I won't show her this post, because mine are awfully plain. I just roast them on the grate, then when marrow starts driipping and flaming, I place in a cast iron pan until done. I serve on french bread with salt. I have a hard time procuring veal bones......I'm just going to have to badger my butcher some more.

If you've been lurking you must know that prime rib seemed to be a staple for Christmas this year. Your prime rib looks delectable, especially with the crispy latkes. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Outstanding Max. ;)

Your meal looks so tasty I bet the left overs were even better. :P If there were any. :)
  • I was just thinking the other day that it had been a while since I'd seen you posting. You were missed. Nice to see you back.

I also keep forgetting about the latkes. Every time you post them I experience one of those "man, I've got to make those sometime" moments, and then wind up forgetting about them until next time you post a pic.

Man, I've got to make those some time.
  • hi rebecca, yeah, i saw all those prime rib posts from christmas....good looking stuff!! ....

good for your mom for loving her bone marrow!! ..butchers usually have plenty of big leg bones...mine did, and i just had him saw out the center portions for me ...(leave the joint ends for the dogs!). . .and even plain, that stuff is like butter (only better) spread on bread!!
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Thought I'd just been missing you during my infrequent visits, lately. Turns out you weren't here, either. Looks like you still remember how to cook.

LR
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Missed your posting but that gets a WOW.
    Welcome back :cheer:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Dang Max that all looks awesome...welcome back...and I loved Spawn's pics on FB of her Europe trip... ;)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Hey Max
    Everything looks great.
    Next time I get marrow bones for the pups
    I will sneak a few out when they aren't lookin :)

Shane
  •  
    Welcome back Max, I was thinking I hadn't see you post in a long time just yesterday. The cook looks wonderful. I will have to try the marrow bones one of these days, I bet they are great.

Blair