Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Were You 25 Years Ago Today..

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When the Challenger was lost just moments after liftoff?..

Comments

• benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    just graduated from college at my first job at general motors in dayton oh.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am so old it seems I was doing what I am doing now.
    I think I need a drink :unsure:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bulldog Mom
    Options
    I was watching the liftoff in my dorm room at BGSU. I called my best friend who worked at the paper and told her about it and then sat there and watched the coverage for the rest of the day. Very sad.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I was in Jupiter FL, doing electrical work in a restaurant kitchen when the pastry chef came in and told me about it. I ran out to look, I could see the vapor trails very clearly. Yes a sad day for America.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    That launch had been delayed so many times that I actually watched it live on CNN. This is the coverage you watch over and over hoping for a different outcome. The pictures of the teacher's parents watching the launch and failure are burned in my brain.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I was in Longwood Fl (75 miles West) and saw the launch on tv and went outside to see it and saw the explosion. Best man at my wedding in '67 had been in town for the previous scheduled launch that was cancelled. He and his wife were guests of Judy Resnick. My friends wife had gone to U Maryland with Judy. A sad day in history.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Sitting in a pickup truck at the tank farm telling a coworker the shuttle shouldn't go up :(
    Ten years ago went to Houston Space Center and the Space Museum was extremly moving
    Still get choked up...
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    I was in school watching it on tv. I was 7 but still remember it vividly.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I was in Macon, Georgia at the Union Switch and Signal plant testing equipment for the Long Island Rail Road. The 2 people I was testing the equipment with were employees of that plant. Their names were Clack and Karen. Karen left for a few minutes while Clack and myself continued testing. I will never forget when Karen came back she had tears streaming down her face. When I asked her what was the matter she told me that the Challenger blow up. I looked at her and in disbelief told her in a not so nice way not to screw around and joke like that. She finally got me to turn on the radio and I just sat there in shock. I canceled the remaining testing for the day and just listened to the event. There is one thing that I would like to point out about that particular radio station we listened to in Macon that day. The event was only about 20 minutes old and I guess the station manager or DJ but have been bored with the whole affair. The DJ just turns on his microphone and says "what a real shame here is a little song to move things on." The station then plays Space Oddity by David Bowie. The radio never made it passed the opening chorus as it became part of the wall. That station in my opinion was run by a bunch of A-holes.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I had just walked into the audio-visual department of the county library. There was a large screen TV at the far end of the room. I saw this huge smoke trail that broke into pieces. I thought "What the H_ was that!?" And then I found out.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I was an engineer on the Space Shuttle program (with Honeywell) and was out for a noon time run (a break during work) and saw the launch and break-up of Challenger......devastating scene, visually and emotionally!
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I was in 8th grade in Sarasota watching it on TV while at school.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I was at home that morning having breakfast and watching it on TV.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i was at home sick that morning....my wife called me downstairs and said "i think something happened to the shuttle"....the commentators were sitting there saying "oh look, a parachute, maybe they are ok (it was the chute from one of the solid rocket boosters)". ...i just looked at the tv picture, turned to my wife and said "they are all gone"....hard to believe its been that long!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Living and working in Bradenton, Fl
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I had just landed at San Antonio for a brief stopover. Decided to walk to the main terminal and happened to glance into a little watering-hole along the way. The first re-runs were just being aired and I stood there motionless while trying to digest the devesting news of such a tragedy...
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    This is actually one of my earliest vivid memories. I was 6, and in first grade at Captain School in Clayton, MO. The schools were making a big deal of the launch, because of the teacher on board. I remember being upset that the first grade class would not be watching the broadcast of the launch, since my sister, who was in seventh grade, would be watching it live in class.

Despite our class not being able to watch the broadcast, I remember being aware when the launch was happening, that the other kids in the school were watching it at that moment. I also remember knowing that something had gone wrong, but I didn't know what. It wasn't until that afternoon, as we were walking home from school, that my sister told me what happened. I remember her being very upset by what she had seen. My family didn't have a TV at the time, so I didn't see footage of the incident until many years later, on the internet. I doubt if my parents would have let me see it back then anyway, given how it affected my sister.

Events like this are a fascinating glimpse into our national psychology. Sociologists must have a field day with these kinds of things. What is it about events like these that grabs our attention, and draws such an emotional response, when a chopper going down in Afghanistan, killing a similar number of soldiers barely gets barely a mention in the news, and little emotion from the general public?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I was waiting in line with an arm load of merchandise at a mom & pop craft store that was going out of business. They had a TV on behind the cashier.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I was at work, and saw it happen on tv while I was there.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I was working nights for UPS and was too tired to sleep so I was watching it on TV.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I was at the Naval Hospital at Camp Lejune standing in line with my mom to get a prescription for me in the pharmacy for an antibiotic for strep throat(most likely I had a million times as a kid). We watched it happen live.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    I was at work and the news spread like wildfire even without a TV or radio in our office.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I was sitting at the same desk I am at today. -RP
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    At home watching He-Man or playing with Matchbox cars would be my guess
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    having breakfast in a cafeteria in concord NH, her "town"...

was a surreal moment, to be sure. most of the schools in NH at the time set up televisions in the auditoriums for all the kids to watch, too. no one really understood at that instant what it really meant, until the shot of her parents in the audience and the announcement a few seconds later

suddenly a collective dawning that NASA was 'human' after all.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    At my desk at work, in Americana, Sao Paulo, Brazil. I heard about the explosion from our secretary, Eliana.
  • asianflava
    Options
    I was in High School Biology class. One of the other teachers came to the back window and called our teacher over to tell her. Our teacher called us over to the window, we could see the smoke plume as we were less than 50mi away.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    Probably wandering around the house... I was an ankle biter! :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    At work waitressing. We had bugged the boss to let us bring in a tv so we could watch it. Service stopped for about an hour, and not one customer complained.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Thrill
    Thrill Posts: 32
    Options
    Remember it like it was yesterday. I was sixteen years old. Was home from school for some reason, and was getting ready to go to the dentist. Was sitting on the ottoman in the family room watching the launch when it happened. I initially thought it was the boosters separating, but then it just didn't look like the other shuttle launches. What a sad, sad day.