Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing a meatloaf experiment

Options
Scottborasjr
Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gonna try something different. Got a pound of pork, chicken, and turkey. What combination of the three should I make a 2 lb meatloaf out of?
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I would go for 2 parts pork and one each of chicken and turkey. 1 lb pork, 1/2lb each of the others.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    That was the way I was leaning, Thanks for the input Richard. Think I'll use the remaining pound of turkey/chicken and make meatballs for spaghetti next week.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Here is one I like, just mix the chicken and turkey and use sausage.

Turkey, Sausage, Meatballs, Ground, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    3 1/2 Lbs Turkey, Ground
    2 Lbs Sausage, Hot, Tennessee Pride
    2 Large Onion, Chopped Small
    4 Whole Eggs
    1 Cup Bacon Bits
    2 Cans Water Chestnuts, Chopped coarse.
    2 Cup Favorite BBQ Sauce
    2 Pkg Lipton Onion Mix
    "OR"
    2 Pkg Knoor;s French Onion Soup Mix
    2-3 Tbs Dijon Mustard
    2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    2-3 Cups Italian Bread Crumbs To Bind
    2-3 Tbs Black Pepper
    2-3 Tbs Garlic Powder
    tsp Basil, Dried
    Favorite BBQ Rub, I used Dizzy Pig Raging River

Procedure:
    1 Mix all ingredients except turkey, sausage and bread crumbs. Then mix in turkey and sausage. Slowly add in the bread crumbs, careful not to add so many that the meatballs will be dried out. Make meatballs about 1-1 1/2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle with your favorite BBQ rub.
    BGE:
    1 Set up BGE for indirect cook at 350°F and add some smoke of choice. I used apple. Place meatballs on rack with a smaller grid pizza rack to keep the meat from falling into fire. Cook about 45-60 minutes. Can be frozen.
    2 Will also make great burgers & meatloaf. If meat loaf pull at 150°F.

Yield: 135

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish, Poultry, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '08, Richard Fl
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    That sounds amazing Richard, I will be trying that very soon. Thanks for helping a newbie out with our amazing little toy!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    The reward for us is seeing the pictures from the meal.