Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip Advice

Shwiezzee
Shwiezzee Posts: 304
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a 3 to 3.5 lb. tri-tip. I have been reading various post over the last few days what people have done. Any advice on the best way to knock it out of the park would be appreciated! It's my first attempt with this cut. :blink:

Jay
I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    This is how I have always done the cook. ;) Tim

http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.html
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Jay,

I'd say that the most important thing is to not over cook the roast and be sure to cut it (to serve) on the bias or perpendicular to the grain and pretty thin 3/8" is about it.

I'm also a big fan of the recipe Tim posted
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i like morro bay rich's recipe as well, the baste really does it right, i do back off with the salt in that recipe though :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Yes - Morro Bay Rich describes it excellently. My first tri-tip looked like this, you can do the same!

Do it up and let us know how you did!

9ad37aee.jpg

44804451.jpg
  • Shwiezzee
    Thanks Gents!

This is how it will be cooked. The Tri-Tip is the back up plan to no skiing this weekend.

Jay
  • 2Fategghead
    I have only skied one time. One whole day. In that day I had to teach myself. I had the best time. I like cooking and eating but, would rather go skiing. ;)
  • Shwiezzee
    LOL! Love cooking and eating with good friends and family. I have three things that will stop me from cooking and only three. 1) Wakeboarding and Wake surfing 2) Snowmobiling 3) Skiing. We have had epic snow in the mountains the past 2 weeks!
    My poor egg.
  • 2Fategghead
    All great things to do. I have cut it down to two things. Riding Harley and cooking on my eggs. Not necessarily in that order. ;)
  • Shwiezzee
    I would ask permission to buy a Harley tomorrow!

Calgary Alberta Canada owns the worst divers in the world and that includes China and India! My friends that ride have some scary stories! :(
  • Hey Shwiezzzee:

Didn't know you were located in this fine province. The count does up all the time.

Doug
  • I received a cook book from a friend by Adam Perry Lang. It has a recipe for a tri-tip with a honey garlic glaze. It adds a really great flavor to the crust. I think it is called Serious BBQ.

The recipe calls for a rub, marinade and a bunch of other steps but I have only done the glaze so far and use Raising the Steaks for the rub.

It is a great cut of meat and a great meal for four (7 counting scraps for dogs)....
  • Shwiezzee
    Hi Doug,

How are you liking the heat wave? :laugh: Good to see the East got some love.... :evil:

Jay
  • Freezing freaking rain this morning here, walking was more than a little tricky. But the warmth is nice 8 degrees today.

Doug
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hey now! Talk nice about your eastern brethren. This clipper is gonna dump a load of snow on us :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Hey Shwiezzee and Doug in Eggmonton. I dispatch for a trucking company, we deliver to Calgary/Leduc, and Mildred Lake dalily/weekly and the drivers tell me all the time how CRAZY it is driving up there. Conditions are bad and everyone drives like it is the Indy 500!

Good luck on that Tri Tip!
  • Shwiezzee
    Beaker wrote:
    Hey Shwiezzee and Doug in Eggmonton. I dispatch for a trucking company, we deliver to Calgary/Leduc, and Mildred Lake dalily/weekly and the drivers tell me all the time how CRAZY it is driving up there. Conditions are bad and everyone drives like it is the Indy 500!

Good luck on that Tri Tip!

Dead right! And why would one buy snow tires for the five or six times a year you need them???? :huh: :huh: Our city is a joke, We have no snow removal systems. The City waits for a chinook. (That's warm winds and big temp changes).

If you are a bike enthusiast you may have seen Ewan Mcgregor ( OB 1 from Star Wars) and his friend Charley Boorman in Long Way Round. 20,000 plus miles through like 10 or 11 countries on BMW GS 1200s. The Canadian leg was to the end of the trip so say 16,000 miles no accidents. In the Calgary City Limits they are hit twice!!! I chit you not. We drive big trucks for protection.
  • Shwiezzee
    Little Steven wrote:
    Hey now! Talk nice about your eastern brethren. This clipper is gonna dump a load of snow on us :laugh:

Steve

:laugh: :laugh: You don't see -38 enough :P Thats hamburger weather :blink:
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Shwiezzee wrote:
    Dead right! And why would one buy snow tires for the five or six times a year you need them???? :huh: :huh: Our city is a joke, We have no snow removal systems. The City waits for a chinook. (That's warm winds and big temp changes).

Lived in Lethbridge for a couple of years. Same method of snow removal. City figured it was cheaper to pay for the repair of the cars that ripped off their oil pans changing lanes than to buy snow plows.