Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct Questions Concerning My Current Brisket Cook

Mac  in NC
Mac in NC Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm in the process of cooking a brisket flat as well as its point. I won't be eating any of it as it comes off the Egg. Rather, I have to take it to S.C. on Friday for a birthday. The party is not until Saturday so the brisket must be refrigerated until then and then reheated. Hence, my questions...[p]1. What would be the best temp. to pull it off to ensure it won't dry out when I reheat it? I tend to cook these in the 230-240 degree Egg range and in the past, pulled at 190. Varied results. [p]2. If you suggest that I wrap in foil during its current cook, (I've never done it before) at what temp. should I do this so my final product will render tender slices rather than a "pot roast" consistency? I like the idea of the juices accumulating but not at the expense of braising the meat. [p]I'd loved to have cooked it down in S.C. but my relatives are too cheap to buy an Egg so I'm stuck doing it here and transporting it. And since my experience in cooking brisket is limited to three, advice concerning these questions would be greatly appreciated.[p]Mac

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mac in NC ,[p]The last one I did I pulled at 190, separated the flat and point. Flat sliced up very nice. Point still had some fat so I chunked up for burnt ends. I foiled the flat for about 30 minutes. I'm now a huge fan of burnt ends.[p]While still warm I took what we didn't eat that night and used a food saver. Just as moist as the day you cooked it.[p]Sliced flat.[p]brisket3.jpg[p]Burnt ends after trimming.[p]brisket4.jpg[p]Good luck,[p]CWM
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Mac in NC ,[p]For slicing, I pull off at 185° to 190° if there is little resistance when poked with a fork. I rest in foil and into the fridge once it cools (still whole). For reheating, I slice and put it in casserole pan, add some CocaCola, cover with foil and warm it through in the oven.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Mac in NC ,
    Where in SC?You are more than welcome to use my"egg"
    Jim

• Mac  in NC
    Jim R,[p]Thanks Jim. Now that's true Southern hospitality! However, I've had the brisket on now for close to four hours so I'd better just go ahead and finish it here.[p]I'm going to my hometown of Summerville, SC. If you aren't familiar, it's about 25 minutes west of downtown Charleston off I-26. It used to be just a rinky dink kinda town but now its just as busy as Charleston itself![p]Mac
  • Mac  in NC
    thirdeye,[p]I like the idea of the Coca Cola. Thanks, I'll give it a try.[p]Mac
  • Mac  in NC
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Thanks for the info. Love the pics![p]Mac
  • Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Mac in NC ,[p]If it was me, I'd take the entire brisket down to SC wrapped in plastic wrap. Do not trim any of the fat off as that will help in keeping it moist when you do re-heat it. [p]When you are ready to re-heat it toss it in the oven sans the plastic wrap adding a little bit of Rick's Sinful Marinade for moisture. Take it up to 170 to 180 degrees and then start trimming your fat off. With any luck you should have a very moist flavorful brisket to serve.[p]
     12 oz. can of beer
     ½ cup cider vinegar
     ½ cup of water
     1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
     ¼ cup olive oil
     2 tablespoons kitchen bouquet
     2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
     1 tablespoon seasoned salt or rub.
     1 tablespoon celery seed
     1 teaspoon red pepper flakes[p]
    Rick

• Salmon,
    I think this is good advice. This method, or something very similar works.[p]Reheat/warm the meat with some added juice/broth/flavor enhancers. [p]When I do it, I use a frypan and add the juices, continually moving the meat around until it is ready for the sammiches. This is fine for small batches, but for a large group, you'd have to bake (warm) in the oven.[p]How could you go wrong? .......Too much seasoning (especially salt).[p]Mike in MN

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    almost forgot, after you warm it up in the oven and trim the fat off, to get even better flavor, re-season lightly before slicing.[p]Rick
    Smokin' Salmons bbq Team

[ul][li]Scroll to brisket........yes I'm braggin'[/ul]
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Yo Rick,
    Congrats and thanks. Put it in the file. Thanks for sharing.
    Dan

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Mac in NC ,
    Any time your over on the coast,Pawleys Island,say hello.Offer always open!
    Jim

• Mac  in NC
    Salmon,
    Congratulations on the ranking!
    I took the brisket off a few hours ago and it turned out quite well. Thanks for the added advice as well as the marinade recipe. I'm sure it will be a hit. I think I'll smoke a butt today to carry down as well. If I feed them enough, maybe they'll pull their $$$ together and buy an Egg of their own so I won't have to keep doing this. [p]Mac

• Mac  in NC
    Jim R,[p]Sounds great!! My wife and I come to Charleston pretty frequently. We still have some friends in the West Ashley area as well as Mt. P. And we always have room for one more![p]Mac