Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help-My Egg is Frozen Shut

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Temps here in Chicago are in single digits. Rained before it froze. It looks like the seals froze together. I can't get my egg open. Anyone have any good ideas?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    jeshaw,
    Light a sterter cube and push it in the lower vent (under the charcoal grate) to near center of the egg...remove the top and leave the bottom wide open, it will light the leftover lump and you will be able to open it very shortly...HTH[p]Wess

• jeshaw,
    Here's a suggestion I read the other day...[p]If you can get the cap off the top - put a hair dryer in the vent and let it go for about 20 minutes.[p]I haven't had this problem yet - but if memory serves the hair dryer trick is popular.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Eggsellent,[p]What are you talking about? Our small was frozen shut the first week we had it, you goob.[p]I lit a cube and stuck it in the bottom vent (there was no lump) and I took the cap off and stuck the mapp inside.[p]That blow dryer thing would have been handy...[p]LOL
  • Mark Backer,
    Oh yea - I forgot about that. Or maybe I just wanted to see what you'd come up with (hee hee).

• Mark Backer,
    So does the hair dryer blow smokey smelling air at you when you blow dry your hair? I got in some trouble last week using the hair dryer. If there is a lady in the house...proceed with caution when using their hair dryer.

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    jeshaw,
    Open bottom vent fully. Take off cap. Light starter stick. Drop it in. Fire should start.

• Mark Backer,[p]"you goob"?[p]whoa... pretty harsh, buster[p]LOL
    HS

• Mark Backer
    HolySmokes,[p]Well, I can't totally rail on her. She is mrs. backer, after all. If I did that here in a public place, well, she might just do something mean when I get home or worse, whilst I am gone...[p]
  • Mark Backer,[p]yeah... I was just commenting on the terribly
    harsh language in a public forum[p]there oughtta be some control here![p] <grin>

• Mark Backer
    HolySmokes,[p]I agree. And I want to apologize to everyone here for my salty language. There is no excuse for that and I'm sorry...

• WessB,
    get yourself one of those flamethrower wands that are used for killing weeds in the driveway/sidewalks...they sell 'em at lowes... northern hydraulics sells 'em too. it is economical to operate 'cause it attaches to 20# propane tank..if the bottom draft plate is frozen... use it to thaw the vent and then stick the flame thower in the hole for a few minutes... it'll light the charcoal. i also use mine to start the fire on an everyday basis too... very effective/ efficient...there's a big fun factor with a flamethrower too....lol

• ranger ray,
    I use the flame thrower to light my egg also. VERY effective! I graduated from the electric starter to the torch, to the Mapp torch, and now to the ultimate...the flame thrower. (We are talking effect AND showmanship here!) [p]There's nothing like lighting that bad boy and applying that heat to a pile of cold lump. Within a minute or two you have flaming lump. I read the various posts about starting lump on the forum, and it's all kids play compared to the this bad boy! [p]I changed the shape of mine to fit better in the lower vent, for the very same reason.... frozen shut. It's happened to me twice this winter. The last time it happened, I had to use the flame thrower on the outside of the egg because the top vent was frozen "on." I also hit the springs and the pivot points at the bolts in case they are iced over. [p]A 20# cylinder lasts a long time when you run it for a minute or two, and then put it away. [p]You have to be careful with some brands of lump, as the amount of sparking can be borderline unacceptable. (dangerous) It's not an issue when the deck is covered in snow, as long as you keep them out of your face....[p]Mike in MN

• egghead2004,
    Yep, you are treading on thin ice (no pun intended) when you use HER hairdryer to work on the egg.[p]My advice, find an alternative at all costs.... even if it means Dominoes Pizza.[p]Mike in MN

• jake42,
    That's OK if you can get the top off, and you haven't left the plate setter /drip pan / and grill in place from the last cook.... like I always manage to do.[p]Mike in MN

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Mike in MN,
    Hmmmmm...