Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this enough clearance for the hinge??

Judge Smails
Judge Smails Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Evenin'. My table is almost finished and thought I'd set the egg in there to check it out. Noticed that there isn't much room back there for the hinge. :ohmy: The egg is already sitting on a paver and the feet.

photo.jpg

Will this be enough space for the dome to open or do I need to hack the table?

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I hate to say it,but it looks like you'll need to hack the table :pinch: Or add another paver
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    No, the rear bolt [where the spring is attached] swings down and under the front one. You need vertical clearance at least the length of the short arm.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm gonna agree. I just went out and eyballed in the dark and rain. If you measure the space between the two bolts horizontally, that is about how much space you need below it if you want to open the dome fully. Go for another paver.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    What the Capt. said ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    And by the way, welcome to the forum :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Whoa! A voice from experience OK? When I retro fitted my older large with the spring band I had the same problem. Rather than to raise my egg to take care of the "elbow" problem I drilled holes to allow them to dip lower into the constraining lower board. Look closely.
    IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    One smart feller
    He felt smart... :laugh:

Try saying that fast ten times
  • RRP
    LOL - BTW those aged/worn/paver bricks cost us an arm and a leg 31 years ago when we built!
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    I had to notch my top to allow for clearance on my large. Don't worry you only see them when you crane your neck around to the back.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    How much of a gap do you have around the egg? It looks pretty close to the edge, which could cause the wood to get too hot.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • SmokeyPitt
    Good observation BJ. It does look a little snug. Raising the egg might help some, but after seeing some pictures of some burned up tables I would make sure I had at least 1/2 inch or so gap around the egg.

• I don't believe that will be enough room. I think that you will have to use 2 paving stones. :sick:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Ron,

Nice nuts. ;) :P
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I agree it's probably not enough space. Why not take off the clips and check? If, as I suspect, the dome it removed, it only takes a mintue to put it back in to check clearance. You don't have to worry about alignment and all that for this exercise.

Instead of a paver - I don't think you need another 2" of clearance - you could use two strips of 1" angle iron under your paver stone to get airflow between the paver and the wood base, raising the egg an inch, and that should give you enough clearance
  • Hiites
    Hiites Posts: 26
    I ran into the same issue when I built my egg table. I had inset the paver into the shelf so I didn't like the idea of adding another paver, so I raised the shelf that the egg sits on. I didn't even take the egg out of the table while doing it. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I had thought it would be. I put a bottle jack, centered on each end, removed the screws holding the shelf to the legs, jacked it up the desired amount and put the screws back in. I pre-marked the legs where the shelf needed to be. Quick and easy. The legs kept the shelf from tipping while being raised. Not nearly as difficult as you would think.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    RRP. Was it easy to retro-fit the older large with that new spring band? What kinda money is it for one of those? My large don't close all that flush. I don't have a gasket to speak of though.... anyways the hinge on there tends to want to fall and that could be bad. I always have to be ready to catch it. I'd like to get a new one. Especially if that new system is better.

Thanks.

I vote for a paver or a couple of tiles to add a few centimeters of clearance.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    You could add a paver, our use a router on your new table top. I chose the router option on mine, but then again, my top is anything special either.
  • Thanks for all the replies, ya'll have given me a lot of options. I am going to attach the dome as soon as it quits raining. Once I determine how much clearance is needed I'll go with one of these options. Thanks again
  • RRP
    sorry I just now saw your post directed at me. As for retrofitting to the spring assisted band it was a piece of cake. I bought my large in April, 2000 and my small in July that same year. Don't recall when the spring assisted bands became available but I switched about a year afterward. Seems like the large was $85 and the small was $65. I have read here that spring style bands may not work on older models but then I don't know how old "they" meant.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Thanks for the post and heads up. Maybe I'll post a pic of what mine has and see what people think. See if it was the same style yours was. My EGG is about 6 years old.
  • RRP
    I'd bet you'll be fine - after all mine was made maybe in 1999 or 2000 so if yours is only 6 then you had the locking band with the handle that has to be pushed down - right?