Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuna Steaks, what temp to grill at?

Options
impag10
impag10 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any tips appreciated

Comments

• Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    As hot as you can get it.
  • Smokey EggHead
    Options
    And flip it fast..... :)
  • Smokey EggHead
    Options
    And flip it fast..... :)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    as hot as you can get it and as soon as it gets grill marks on it (60-90 seconds), flip it. *just as was said above*

this is assuming you like your tuna rare verses killing it.

i love tuna! would love to see pics!

cheers.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to use a flat cast iron gril,pan whatever is flat and get eggstremely hot and do about a minute per side. Serve with wasabi.

Tuna, Steak, Dijon

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Tuna Steak
    2-3 Tbs. Sesame Seeds, White
    2-3 Tbs. Sesame Seeds, Black
    **SAUCE TO SERVE**
    1 Cup Olive Oil
    1 Cup Vinegar, Balsamic
    1/2 Cup Soy Sauce, Kikkoman
    2 Oz. Ginger Juice, Juicer works best
    1 Oz. Sesame Oil
    Salt/Pepper To Taste

Procedure:
    1 Roll Tuna in sesame seed mixture. Sear 45-60 seconds. Remove from heat and slice thinly. Spoon a little sauce over and serve. Wasabi optional.
    2 The remaining sauce will keep in the refrigerator for a long time, 2-3 months.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish, Seafood, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Chef at Dijon's, Melbourne Beach

Source: Dijon's, Melbourne Beach
  • impag10
    impag10 Posts: 66
    Options
    Cast iron grill-Check
    Extremly hot-Check
    Wasabi- Check
    Fresh Tuna Steaks since i live on the Atlantic-Check
    Digital Camera- hmmmmmm...****

Will try to get pics off the phone. Thanks all
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Kroger has Yellow fin. Is that good for grilling? I didn't know if I needed to be looking for Ahi.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I don't grill tuna but Starkist is my fave. :laugh: :P I think they are all OK for grillin JoJo.There are some that are considered sushi grade.That may be the Ahi.I've heard of Yellowfin,Bluefin and Ahi.I'm sure there are others.I see MOST folks recommend to cook it to underare to rare. :S Can't say,never had it.To each his own.Some folks balk at 'Loney. :laugh:
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Whoa!! What the??
    "About a minute", "60 to 90 seconds", "45-60 seconds",
    since when does anybody round here cook by time and not temp... :silly:
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    Ricklesss wrote:
    Whoa!! What the??
    "About a minute", "60 to 90 seconds", "45-60 seconds",
    since when does anybody round here cook by time and not temp... :silly:

in this case if the tuna is sushi grade, you'll want the inside to be still cool. i guess time trumps temp in this case.
    context is important :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Still gets back to thickness of the meat and temp you're cooking at to know how long to cook. Which is back to internal temps again. No? :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    WOW! The famous 'Loney instigator does not eat sushi?
    What's that all about?
    We're just gonna have to do sumthin' 'bout this revelation! :laugh:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You don't need sushi grade for rare tuna.

A sushi master I spoke with says you are wasting your money if you buy sushi grade with intent to grill.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Bob,
    If I were planning for only the outside 1/8 inch or less to be seared, with the balance of the tuna rare (even cold), I would sure feel better knowing it was sushi grade and all the handling care that goes into that tuna... May be overkill..... ;)

I wonder if that sushi master was thinking more grilled (and done) than just seared. :huh:
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I do mine as above. Get the grill to 500 plus. About a minute per side. I've shut it down before and let it sit an extra minute or two, although it's not necessary. I have used soy sauce and honey to marinade it prior to grilling. It's tasty.

I like the idea of the sauce and the sesame seeds. May give that one a go next time. Just cut the recipe in a 1/4 and make it when needed. Wife won't want any more sauces in the fridge. LOL. I did buy some sesame seeds to try that on my tuna too, but haven't used them yet. Also have them for making sushi. Yum. I use that sashimi grade Ahi tuna that I get from Harris Teeter. It's usually quite cheep.

It's just like steaks though. Thickness chances everything. You'll get a feel for it. With that grade of tuna you can eat it raw so I'd air on the side of undercooking. Enjoy.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    All depends on how you like your Tuna B) I like mine med. rare and not fully cooked.

BTW- Starkist is not sushi grade but Sandwich grade ;) which is definitely 2 or more steps up from cat food grade :woohoo:

Many "Chefs" say nothing more than this - (This is a little rare for my likes)
    grilled-tuna.jpg
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I'm not sure how much that makes 'Loney above cat food grade ........ hmmmm?
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    :silly: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Interesting, informative, yet confusing article. :pinch: :huh:

I think I would feel safest buying a piece of raw tuna from a quality sushi restaurant ( or their supplier) if I plan to eat it raw in the center.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi

That made me google sashimi and FDA. This came up at or near the top. Good old wiki. The carbon monoxide addition bit scares me a bit. Yikes.
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    This looks perfect to me! Fresh tuna rare, or even raw, is delicious! But I'm a shashimi lover.