Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FAQ - Tips & Helpful Information

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

When I got my first egg it took me a while to find the 'stuff’ discussed here on the forum. What follows below are posts and sites that help me getting to know and use my BGE(s) better. You will find links to some of the posts, member sites with great information, recipes and toys/accessories for the egg. This is just a starting point and quick reference to help you on your egg'n adventure. Welcome and congratulations with your egg.

Feel free to copy or bookmark this post/page for future reference.

Where to begin:
. Make sure you read the manual
. Watch the video provided with your new egg
. Calibrate your dome thermometer. Instructions are included with the egg.

Now, it's time to 'mouse around', enjoy while visiting these sites:

- BGE Headquarters - The Mother Ship Home Page
- New stuff from BGE - What's new from BGE
- The Egg Components What everything in & on the egg is called
- RRP's Forum Navigating and Forum Settings Help

- Recipes - BGE HQ Recipes
- Recipes - Forum Recipes
- Recipes - Keep On Eggin Recipe Book 2011 A ~ thebtls. 225 pages and is a huge download.
- Videos - BGE Cooking Videos
- Boiling Point Calculator - From the Forum

Quick Tip - (on or off the egg) For great tasting food, cook food to temperature and use time as a reference.

- A Cut Above - Cuts of Beef, Pork, Lamb ~ De-bone Trout & Salmon ~ Discussion & Visuals
- When is the food done - Food Cooking Temperatures
- USDA Is My Food Safe - How Temperatures Affect Food

- USDA Cold Storage - Freezing and Food Safety
- USDA - Safe Food Handling Fact Sheets
- Discussion regarding - Letting Meat Rest After Cooking

- Egg Temperatures - Visual Guide to Vent Settings & Clear Smoke
- A visual guide to - Good & Bad Smoke
- One of many ways to light the lump - Paper Towel & Oil

- Thermometers - Pit Probe Placement
- Information regarding - Smoking Woods
- Setting up for an Over Night Cook - Step by Step Visual Guide

- How to post a picture on the forum - Using Photobucket - Visual Guide
- How to post a slideshow on the forum - Using Photobucket - Visual Guide
- What is Flashback (important) - Understanding Flashback

A few personal favorite cooks I have found to be easy, fun and result in some darn good eats:
- Chicken & Veggies
- Pot Roast in Dutch Oven
- Pork Char Sui
- Pulled Pork, Shoulders (Butt and Picnic)
- A Great Egg'd Chicken Salad

Quick Tip - How much meat should I buy to feed Pulled Pork for a group of people. Take the number of people eating and divide by 2.4

- Prime Rib
- Buckboard Bacon
- Pastrami
- Chili Verde
- Mad Max Turkey & Gravy

Forum member sites, good places to spend some, you will find a wealth of knowledge being shared:
- Thirdeye - Recipe Section
- Thirdeye - Thirdeye Front Page Don't pass up the other BBQ/Smoking help on the site.
- Wess B - Recipes, Tips & Fest Cookbooks
- Nakedwiz - Lump Database, Recipes & Tips

Thermometers:
Most forum members will advise to get an instant read thermometer. The Thermopen is a well worth investment, don't settle for lookalikes. The MTC is also an good thermometer, pick up the thin fast reading probe. Both are fast reading and extremely accurate.
- Thermoworks - Fast Read Thermapen
- Thermoworks - MTC Mini Handheld (get the 2 sec read probe)
- Maverick Redi Check - ET-73 (abt. $40 online) {Edit: Purchase the Model - ET-373 this link will be updated when we can find a 'discounted' source} Pit & Food probes with remote & alarms

Tools, Toys and Must Have's:
Some forum members who offer Tools & Accessories, you will also find recipes and tips at some of these sites - take time to look and learn:

- Thirdeye - ThirdHand Grid Lift, Wiggle Rods, Micro Adjuster and ThirdFinger
- Ceramic Grills Store, Egg Accessories - One of my favorites, the Adjustable Rig & Spider
- Dizzy Pig Rubs - (DP) Rubs
- Chubby's accessories for the small egg - Grill Mates
- Lawn Ranger - Custom Handles and Tools
- Big'un - Carnivore BBQ Sauce
- HungryMan - Custom Printed T-Shirts & Wearable’s

Some of the Powered Vent Systems Available
- DigiQ
- Stoker (my preference)
- Aurber - (lower cost units - pit control only)
- iQue 110 - (lower cost unit - pit control only)

Enjoy, GG

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
    I was just wondering where you were. It seems like it has been a while since I last saw you posting. Hope you are having fun!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Yup, that's pretty much it in a nut shell. :laugh:

How you been, man?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Been spending some time catching up on the forum and...

A little bit of fun, went to Vegas to watch my 10 year old grand daughter compete in an invitational gymnastics meet. They are off to San Diego Thursday then early next month to Phoenix.

Wrestling with some medical stuff and shoveling snow which is slow and kind of tricky shoveling and snow blowing while using crutches. :laugh:

We just got a 6" dump in the last several hours, I have been procrastinating getting out and tackling that project.

All in all, wishing I lived somewhere warm, but doing OK. Thanks for asking... Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Hi Adam, do'n OK, some detail in the response above. Hope you are warm and well... :)

Kent
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great post Kent thank you. So much great information. ;)
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks for re-posting this thread. It is incredibly useful, even for those of us who have been around a little while!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Welcome Tim, got the overnight post in there thanks for all the work you did on that.

I have to go dig out of the snow and then get that info for you after that. I have been sanding the head light lenses on the car to get rid of the UV build up. I could turn on the lights and not see much illumination of the road so I decided to sand off the built up crud - then it snowed on my so 1 side done and the other well being part way through the process doesn't do much for visibility when it's dark. :laugh: :woohoo:

Later bud...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thank you. There are two new entries, Tim's and thebtls as well as several updates to links that have changed.

Kent
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    If I was close I would come over and shovel you out. ;) Then I would get my exercise at the same time. We are expecting snow tonight but, more likely in the morning. I'm getting tired of sitting around holding down the recliner and watching football. :blink:
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Treasure trove!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: If you were closer we would be playing around with the eggs.

Rather than clearing the drive, I've been poking around looking at different stuff to cook for the supper bowl as well as looking for some casserole recipes

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    What method are you using to clear the lenses? I paid dearly to have mine done last year. TIA!~~
  • Rascal
    Options
    What a wonderful contribution to the forum this is! Thank you! One question... If one bookmark's a forum post (such as yours) is there a time limit as to how far in the future it can be retrieved?
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    For the Maverick remote thermometer, did you mean ET-732 for the new model? It seems to be running $59.99 at several on-line places.
  • Sip & Chat
    Options
    Kent,

Thank you so much for this bit of Gold.

Newbie Bob,

Kingston, GA
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi GG,
    Yes it's nice to see you posting, I have also noticed that you had not for awhlile. Sorry to hear about your snow and headlight problems. That sucks if ya don't mind me saying so.

That is great info for all of us, I'm also going to keep it as I forget at times. :laugh: That's O.K. I've earned it. :cheer: :whistle:

Cheers GG,
    Bordello
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Kent, thank you so much for putting all this info out there for the newbies. You will never know how many eggers you have helped.

All the best to you and yours.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

3M has a lens 'Headlight Lens Solutions' Kit available at Harbor Freight for about $20. It has a sanding disk (hook & loop design) sanding disks, and rubbing compound.

With the drill on low speed & light pressure... First sanding the lens with 500grit, then 800grit then 1200 grit and some kind of pat which is, I think I read, 2400 grit and finally a polishing step using rubbing compound.

It took a bit of time to get the first build up off, the build up on mine was/is really thick and very easy to feel & see. It took 2 or 3 of the 500 grit for the left side. I have about 3 left for the right side. That process really scuff's up the lens, The 800 grit just has smaller scratches, the 1200 is fine scratches and the last step is better, but the rubbing compound/polishing step with the drill really puts a shine to the lens.

On the right side I am going to spend more time with the 500 and 800 steps and do it in the daylight this time. If I have enough sanding disks left over I will do the left side again. I think I will have enough supplies left over.

I would think this would work well for DVD's & game disks that get marked up. Xbox systems have a bad habit of 'gouging' the game discs and Microsoft won't replace the disks when the system puts the gouge in the disc.

How much did the professional job cost?

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I've pulled up bookmarks I have saved on the forum for many years back. I am not sure what happens when they archive the posts. With my pot the newest post will have the updates and new sites and new posts I find or think should be included. It would be just as easy to use the search function for 'Tips' or 'FAQ' select newest first and you will have the latest. I post it about every 4 to 6 weeks.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    'You have earned it' :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's funny.

I haven't seen you around much either Bob, and was wondering how you are doing. I hope you are well and taking care of the girls.

I wish I were visiting you right now... :)

Be well bud...

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks Faith! I am sitting here reading this with my coat and hat on gloves and crutches next to the desk. Just getting ready to head out into the snow... If I wait long enough maybe I can put it off until tomorrow or the next day... :)

Kent

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    When I posted this thread a while back someone suggested that I ought to tag-team with you when you post your hints. Here was mine about navigating the board.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1000581&catid=1
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    It's not just for the newbies, as Bordello said, some of us need a refresher course every now and then.
    Thanks G.G.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks for the 're-post' later on I will edit the above post and put that in on the page. I was going to do that a while back but didn't make a note and forgot about it.

Of course anyone is more than welcome to put their links in the thread.

I'm heading out to light the egg and then out to push some snow around, I have put it off long enough.

Like a lot of people we have had a really good snow year, the skiing out here is fantastic this year, that is is one ski's or snowmobiles. The base is great and the powder is unbelievable, it is great to watch on TV with a nice hot drink. If this keeps up we might get 600" or more of snow fall this year - well not right here but 20 minutes east of hear.

Thanks again, Kent
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    Great info. I have the older post bookmarked and access it often. I have a new bookmark. Thanks GG!!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I say this every day but, it never helps. :)

I will quit procrastinating tomorrow! :woohoo:
  • Rascal
    Options
    If I recall, it was about $30 for the two lenses. At the time I thought that was costly, but in light of what you're saying, perhaps it wasn't. Thhanks!
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Great information here, bookmarked for sure. I did find the Maverick E-732 for $52 bucks with that five dollar Yard and Pool discount code I posted a day or so again.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If they got it looking like new that was worth it. How well did they get your lenses cleared?

The kit was expensive but my lenses were extremely heavily blocked.

Autozone & Checker have a liquid (lens rubbing compound) for about $8 which will do great for 'not so heavily' coated lenses. That got the top part of my lenses quite good. It would have taken me hours and hours to use the liquid and a cloth, that's why I bought the kit when I saw it available.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh:

I go the egg light and the chicken ready to put on and a little part of the drive done. I then came back in and turned on another computer routed the video to the big screen and put up a picture of Arizona landscape, turned up the heat to 87°. Now I am sweating looking at all the cacti and thinking it will get good to get back to the snowy country.