Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tel-Tru thermometers ROCK!

Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my 200* to 1000* Tru-Tel in the mail yesterday.
I LOVE it!! I really do..
I never had any problem what-so ever, accuracy wise, with the original BGE thermom, I just found it hard to read in my low light cooking area.
The Fahrenheit #'s along the outside edge on the BGE thermom, were always in the shadow, and both the increments and the #'s are on the small side.
THe Tru-Tel, I can actually read from 20' away, and when I'm close to it, is instantly readable.
Just my .02

Comments

• beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Agreed. They are awesome. I went through two BGE thermometers in the first three weeks of my purchasing my XL BGE. The Tel-Tru is accurate, easy to read and it holds up great.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I have the Tel-Tru's too and love them. Here is a trick I use.... I spin the thermometer until the temp I want for that particular cook is at the 12:00 position. I know I'm right on if the pointer is pointing straight up.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • It is tips like these that make me shake my head and say, "That's so simple and brilliant, why didn't I think of that?"
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    What did the two guys on the Guiness commercials always say? "Brilliant!"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Not to take anything away from you Wayne, but that is an old racer's trick. They mount the tachometer so that the ideal RPM is sticking straight up so as it can be easily monitored with barely having to look at it thus keeping an eye on the track and surrounding racer cars.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Hey beerguy! Have you seen any of the posts about the upcoming Frozen Fest?
    It's at Boyd Lodge on Rush Lake. Feb. 11-13

'beerguy' (that's funny) you'll fit right in. :laugh:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Good tip. I have them on all three eggs just to be able to see them better.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Is there a reason the Tel-tru thermometers have such long probes? They seems to make several shorter length probes which I understand are too short.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    The Tel-tru is 5" vs. the BGE one which is 4" - not that big of an intrusion. If it bothers you put the clip on the outside or a 1" wine bottle cork to take it up.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Don't know, but I also would prefer a shorter one for the Large and a longer one for the Mini.

I asked Tel-Tru about the fact that the Mini thermo is inaccurate in the egg (it's okay in boiling water, but mine reads 25° low in the egg when compared to a longer probe, also Tel-Tru). They said...

Thank you for using Tel-Tru thermometers and providing details of your testing. I am happy to respond to your questions.

1.) Yes, we can manufacture a 3" or 3.5" stem. We can offer both of these stem lengths with temperature range 200/1000F. I think you will see the 3.5" stem added soon to our website.

2.) Yes, you can re-calibrate the 2.5" stem unit with the range 200/1000F to read 25 degrees higher. Before doing so, make sure that the 5" stem thermometer has been at the test point for 3 minutes. Also make sure the 2.5" stem is installed for 3 minutes at the same set temperature as the 5" stem unit before adjusting calibration.

The 2.5" stem was offered after getting requests & orders for it from BGE mini owners who also confirmed that the thermometer was accurate. I am sorry to learn that you are showing different results.

I assume that, if they can make different lengths for the Mini, they could do the same for the Large, but I didn't ask.

Many people put the probe clip on the outside of the egg as a spacer, effectively shortening the business end of the probe. That, or drill a hole through a wine bottle cork. Looks strange, but it works.

And yes, they are MUCH easier to read than the BGE gauges!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Sweet n easy visual...Thanks thirdeye
  • Soon to standard on all new eggs!
  • I ordered one the other day. A bit pricy, but it is huge, which is what I wanted. I got the glow in the dark 5in dial.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    5" dial?? What temperature range?
    I called Tel-Tru last week to see if they could do a 200* to 1000* glow in the dark dial, with the 5" probe for my LBGE, but they can't... :(
    Too bad, it would have been really cool.
  • Hi guys:
    I just read the posts on the Tel Tru. Interesting. I found a ton of these on Amazon. Which do you suggest? I have a BGE Large.

Uncle Phil
  • I got the 100-500, I don't cook much over 500 the only time I'd go that high is when I grilling steaks or something.