Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First eggfest cook

Reeltachy
Reeltachy Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've decided to jump in with both feet and sign up as a cook at the Florida Eggfest. Since I have never even attended an Eggfest, jumping right in to cooking should be an adventure. Any suggestions to gear, equipment, etc would be greatly appreciated. My only expectation is to have fun and enjoy the comraderie.

Comments

• You are off to the right start with your attitude! I did the same thing. My first cook was at the Austin eggfest and I had a blast. There will be more than enough people to help you. My advice is to bring some basics to have fun with. Pork tenderloin is a great first cook and maybe some burger sliders, bacon cookies (need platesetter), wings and or different types of sausage. Don't worry about it too much and make sure you have enough time to go see what everyone else is doing and cooking. There is a wealth of knowledge at the different fests and usually a lot to take in.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Go for the chick wings. :laugh:

Just kidding private joke. he he

Go for something your comfortable with and you will enjoy yourself. Tim :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC00534a.jpg

I'm an Eggfest rookie, but I got most of my gear into a couple of boxes and a big cooler. RichardFL has compiled a MEGA list of things to consider, he should post it here. I downloaded it and then eliminated what did not apply for the stuff we cooked.

I did go to Sam's Club and looked through the serving options, they have everything from plates to those little paper boats, but I settled on these plastic nacho trays. The small built in container worked good for sauce for these pulled pork sliders, and we also served pork only, strips of flat iron steaks and planked salmon in them too.

DSC00558a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Great post and thanks to all. I think the challenge of getting down to one cooler and a couple of boxes will be formidable. I am wondering about how much food shoul I prepare? I see where 400 attended last year, is ther a rule of thumb when planning quanity?
  • That part is up to you. You really don't need to cook a lot. Space it out and do 2 or 3 different things if you wish. I think I did a load of sausage, a couple of tenderloins and a load of drummetes. Nothing broke the bank, but I did cook most of the time. Make sure you can enjoy other peoples food as well and talk to as many people as you can. That's my advice for what it's worth.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Reeltachy: Glad to see you have decided to join us, and you will have a blast! :laugh: We will be sending a general info mailer out to the cooks when sign up nears a close.... I am looking for the one we put out last year, and if I find it, I will post to you again in this thread.
    In general, try not to over-do yourself. Keep the cooks quick and simple, and remember, you are not feeding meals, you are serving TASTES. So anything you can cook and feed samples on toothpicks...soups/stews you can serve in tiny cups...taco/burrito/quesadilla type set ups are always easy... Just keep it simple, plan to cook a bit, and wander/visit a bit, then maybe cook a bit more, and so on. We supply free beer/water for the cooks all day.
    I would also encourage you to attend the Meet & Greet! It is a great opportunity to meet many of the folks the evening ahead. You will feel right at home in no time, and it helps get rid of any fest "jitters" you might have. (Though once you meet everyone, those will go away quickly!!) Sometimes there are a few rooms that are used for "prep parties" after the M&G...so the more you join in, the more comfortable and happy you will be! :laugh: I can about guarantee also, that we can pair you up with a 'seasoned fest cook' for the fest itself...so you can rest easy!
    Where are you coming in from? Again, I will look for last years info. If you have additional questions, feel free to email me at LittleChef@BubbaTim.com. We all are looking forward to meeting you! Be prepared for an amazing weekend! :woohoo:
  • Wish I could come to the Fest. :whistle:
  • Third eye
    That is a great idea about the nacho trays! Next time I am at Restaurant Depot I am going to have to stock up.
    Thanks!
    tim
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Mike... Though it was close, we certainly did consider banning you after last year :S , but...you BETTER be there!! :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :whistle:
  • Well if you can keep the Canuck and Poolman away from me we will be fine.

:woohoo: :laugh: :whistle::) I just can't get use to grown men wearing polka dotted aprons. It just ain't right. :woohoo: :laugh: :);)
  • I will be coming from Tampa. I will be joining a fellow "Egger" who lives in Melbourne. He went to last years Eggfest and hopefully we can set up next to each other if not set up together.
    Everything I've read so far is pretty much what we have planned, simple dishes, tastes for everyone, 2-3 items, and have fun! Of course, half the fun is in the planning!
    Thanks again for all the help and can't wait to taste some food and to meet all.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Whatever you cook just remember to save some food & drink for the "Afterparty". That is where the real fun begins....woohoo....
    :woohoo: :lol: :laugh: :);)B)
  • Reeltachy, there are a number of Tampa people attending the fest. Make sure Michelle hooks you up with them too.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Now what's wrong with pink polka dot aprons?????? :huh: Me thinks you're jealous Mike! :P

By the way reeltachy, the Florida Fest was the first time I cooked last year. Little Chef, Bubba Tim, and Pork Butt Mike fixed me up to cook with Team Carnivore headed by Big'un, with Kenny, Scottie, and I doing all the work, lol. I learned a lot and had an absolute blast. Eggers were coming out of the woodwork to help with prepping, cooking, equipment, shopping, and libations.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Jealousy rears its ugly head :) :laugh: :P :lol: :silly: .....

I thought Pat & I looked good in polka dots... :S :S :kiss::kiss:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: