Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cedar planks on the egg

MemphisQue
MemphisQue Posts: 610
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone use cedar planks on the egg. I tried salmon tonight on a cedar plank and was not very impressed. Maybe I need to do something different.

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have, twice. Soaked them, heated on the grill, turned, put the salmon on and cooked. Turned out great!

018.jpg
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Thanks -maybe I did not let the plank heat long enough on the egg.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Let one side get REALLY hot,then turn the cold side down and put the fish on the hot side to cook.I have done scallops on a maple plank.YUM.
  • I have done cedar planked salmon on the egg as well and have had great luck. I soak the planks for about 30 minutes and then I put the fish on it and put it on the egg. Hubby loves it.
  • I too have done cedar planks. But, with two very different out comes :ermm: .
    I first will give the run-down: I soak my planks for an hour, then heat the plank for about 4 to 5 minutes on the Egg (this is direct, with he grid on the fire ring and a stable fire of 350 to 400 max.) then turn the plank and immediately put on the fish and cook to easily flake.
    Now for the two out-comes:
    I did fresh Walleye with a touch of salt, pepper and a lemon slice on cedar planks (store bought) that I got as a birthday gift....They really turned out great :) .
    I did fresh King Salmon (brushed with a bit of oil, some ginger and some dill weed) on BIG planks that I cut from left over stock I had on hand, because they were BIG filets.
    The pungent smokey flavor was WAY overwhelming....I like smoke, but this was border line and NOT received well :( .
    Not sure what and / or why, but I think that the smaller planks are Western Red....And I know the big ones that I cut are from native White. This may be the difference, but I haven't tested it out any further, because I don't want to ruin any more fish.
    I have used the "store bought" planks and again been satisfied. I also have used Maple and Alder with success.....And want to try on an Oak plank.
  • I generally soak my planks all day, mostly because my previous gasser always burned them up. On the LBGE the salmon turns out with slightly smokey flavor after 15-20 minutes at 350 deg direct on the standard grid position. Planks hardly even char on the fire side.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    dsc01345aL.jpg

DSC07422acloseup.jpg

dsc03528a2L.jpg

fd44046f-1.jpg

Plank cooking is a wonderful technique and the common planks are maple, hickory, alder and cedar. The principle is to have a hot enough pit (since your food is cooking indirect) to cook the food, while at the same time having the plank supply an envelope of flavor smoke. Too low of a pit temp and you might as well be cooking in a pan or on foil. Too high a pit temp and you will flash the plank, which gets interesting. Choose the flavor of your plank carefully. I use hickory for pork and sometimes chicken, and I like alder for any fish or seafood. Maple is hard for me to get, but I have used it to cook brie and pork. I don't care for the flavor of cedar at all and don't use it.

Submerge your plank for a few hours.

DSC03954a.jpg

Like the others mentioned for cooking, preheat it for several minutes, wipe on some oil, then add your food. You want the light smoke to start in 2 or 3 minutes.

DSC05165b.jpg

There is usually no need to turn most foods, and when the bottom begins to char the plank will start to distort. You may have to re-arrange things to stop them from falling off. I keep a little squirt bottle handy just in case an edge gets to hot. Take pictures quickly as having the lid open too long will flash the plank. If this happens, just close the lid and it will go right out. (this fish turned out just fine)

DSC07423a.jpg

For moving inside (or for serving), I use the same sheet pan I use for soaking with 1/4" of hot water in it. A quick transfer into the water puts out the plank.

DSC00571a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Thanks. I did let mine soak for about an hour but probably did not let the egg and plank get hot enough. I am going to get it closer to 550 to 600 and then turn the hot side of the plank over.
  • Thanks, great pics. I am ready to give my planks another try. I only have the cedar planks right now but am really interested in trying some hickory planks. Bottom line is I don't think I had my fire hot enough.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Your pesto "flash the plank" shot is the best.
    Looks like it was almost "flash the camera".
    Your web site is great as well. I send the link to people all the time.
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I did not see your link at first. Great website.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    well... how did you do it?

soak it and put it on with the food. the very purpose of it is to create an indirect barrier so that the meat (fish, usually) roasts rather than grills or sears.

you wouldn't want too much smoke, so the plank is soaked, and the smoke kicks in toward the middle end of a fairly quick cook. usually 20-30 minutes for salmon.

the cedar smoke works well with fatty fish like salmon.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    MemphisQue - 550-600 for indirect cooking of salmon is pretty hot. I have had great success at 350. Although some recommend preheating the plank (and I am sure they get great results) I have not had a need to do that.

Whatever you do, just know that you can get great results - don't let your first try turn you off to salmon on a plank.
    New Orleans LA
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    do you have parchment paper under some of the meats that you are cooking??
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Hey! What's your story? You gonna venture over to the frozen fest?
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    i will send you an email.
  • I think I only had it at about 300-325. Maybe the extra 25-50 degrees will help make the plank smoke better and flavor the fish more. Thanks.
  • I did soak for about an hour but from what everyone above has posted I probably did not have the egg hot enough.
  • stike
    you didn't use the platesetter did you?

that would defeat the whole idea
  • Nope... had the plank on the grill grid over direct heat.
  • stike
    so then the question is what does "not impressed" mean?

the only thing a plank cook will do is give a little cedar smoke flavor to the fish

exact same thing would be achieved by an indirect cook with some few cedar chips tossed it. it won't add flavor by contact

are you saying you had no smoke flavor?
  • I just could not taste any smoke flavor. I also did not notice much smoke aroma from the egg either. It's possible I had a bad cedar plank but more likely I might have been cooking at too low a temp to get the plank to smoke/burn effectively.
  • stike
    the only thing i would say is that it not neceesarily a good idea to put the cedar to start right away. or, at least it can be problematic.

cedar and similar softwoods are indigenous to the areas where salmon is found, and were likely used more as a cooking vessel than as something to add flavor. when soaked, the smoke starts toward the middle or end of the cook, and the cedar smoke doesn't become too strong. if the cedar goes on without the fish, to preheat, and you only add the fish after it is already smoking, you'll have a lot (too much, i think) of cedar smoke.

for maple, and other woods, it's maybe a different thing, because though they can also get too smokey, that smoke itsn't as resinous as too much cedar.

i think the right amount of cedar can actually work really with the fat in salmon. there are a few traditional things (fish, hams) smoked heavily over pine or soft woods like cedar

it's certainly persoanl taste, and though i enjoy it, i wouldn't put cedar on to preheat. put the plank on wet and aim for smoke to start a few more minutes into the cook. i go at 400 dome
  • stike
    no such thing as a smokeless plank really. more likely the second thing. i run at 400 when planking
  • Next time I will get it up to 400 on the dome. Hopefully that was the issue.
  • stike
    i use thinner "planks" too. shingles, actually. they're throwaway, and no need to wash and try to save them (which i frankly find odd hahaha).

leftover_shingles.jpg

those were leftover from a construction project. they are sold as undercourse shingles, and no, they aren't treated or finished in any way.

undercourse-shingles.jpg

i can't see paying 30 bucks a board foot for cedar, which is what most planks sell for. there's no such thing as "culinary grade cedar". :laugh:

soak for maybe half an hour (no planning ahead required)

soak-the-plank.jpg

snip the thin end off

trim-thin-end.jpg

and cook away

on-the-grill.jpg

here's the underside after the cook.

minimal_char.jpg

certainly not immolated, but gave plenty of smoke.

plated_salmon2.jpg
  • Much better idea than paying for the planks at store.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Yes, If you want to avoid sticking and/or guarantee a quick and easy removal, parchment works great. In those pictures, that one salmon fillet was skinless, and the brie gets kind of soft so I left little handles on the parchment paper.

141fb5a9.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You sir are enormously frugal.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    just leaves me more money for books. :laugh: