Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Platesetter, take a chance or trash?

TailgateTailgate Posts: 56
edited 8:51AM in EggHead Forum
Greetings.. my first post to the board. Kudos and huge thanks to all the eggheads for so much great info that guided me as I lurked the board for research that led to the purchase of my LBGE less than 2 weeks ago.
Wifey and I have only cooked in the kitchen once since and all meals have been outstanding 'cept one (last nights pork loin, which I ruined with too much smoke).

Problem w/platesetter is that I used supposed 'heat resistant' silicone oven mitts to pull it out while hot and got a slight melt from the fingers onto the platesetter. Left a little 'glaze' of the silicone on the surface. Threw gloves away and bought welders gloves today.
Do you think I should just try to burn off the platesetter or is it a forever toxic device?

Thoughts appreciated. Next I'll post about the Duraflame log I used (just kidding)

ps. Looking forward to Salado in March!

Bob

Comments

  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,885
    Tailgate,

    Hell no! Don't throw it out. Just leave it in the egg with a hot fire going for a couple of hours.

    Steve

    Steve 

    Caledon, ON

     

  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,400
    Heat it up for a while and scrape the residue off..
  • Like they said....put some more heat to it and it should be just fine.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Silicone isn't toxic - they make baking pans and mats out of it. Don't sweat it.
  •  
    Hi Tailgate and welcome to the forum. Your 'heat resistant' silicone oven mitts had better been non-toxic also. I don't think they would be made of anything toxic if they are for handling food! You should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Some of us, including myself, cover the plate setter with foil to keep it clean. I think some of the pizza aficionados feel that a clean plate setter will not add any flavors at the high temps they use for there pies. Just a thought, I may be all wrong as I don't do pizza. Not on my diet but wish it was. :(


    Blair


     
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 4,497
    Just burn it off with a mapp gas torch.
    See you in Salado.
    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
  • I wouldn't recommend using a mapp torch cause you will get a lot of thermo shock possibly breaking the piece. A high temp burn will bring it all up to temp eliminating such danger.
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 4,497
    I burn off spots on my platesetters and pizza stones all the time. Never an issue.
    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 4,497
    I also put pizza stones and platesetters on my propane turkey fry cookers and my side burner to burn clean. Never cracked one to date.
    Thank you,
    Darian

    Galveston Texas
  • jeffinsgfjeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I love that idea! Glad to hear it works. I hate building a fire hot enough to burn the plate setter clean.
  • I would not throw it away. Just get heat up in egg and use a pizza stone scrubber. Should be fine.
  • Welcome to the forum...

    I would not worry about it...Though a high temp burn will clean just about anything up....I use my platesetter during pizza cooks and the side facing the fire comes out as white as when I bought it...
  • thanks all.. I'm not too worried about it now.. I'll just let it 'burn, baby, burn' until the plate is clean.

    Thanks for the welcome!
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 9,219
    You can't ruin a pork loin with too much smoke. :laugh: :laugh:

    If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.    Julia Child


    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

  • I have burnt several things on my platesetter and with a nice hot burn it will scrape right off
  • RicklesssRicklesss Posts: 391
    Saturate the P/C with alcohol, (it'll soak up a lot) stand back and throw a match at it.


    I'm only KIDDING! Couldn't resist. :P
    (Just in one of those moods tonight)
  • I wouldn't take a chance on it. Therefore, please it send to the following address for proper disposal:

    Mr. Nysportsfan
    9 Carolina Ct.
    Bergen County, NJ 07645

    ;)
  • no problem.. I'll send my wife up to deliver it.. you can keep 'em both :laugh:
Sign In or Register to comment.