Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Publix Greenwise

Options
Feenbo
Feenbo Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for several months and have gone through 2 bags of BGE charcoal and have had zero issues. I decided to try the Publix brand since it was more convenient and less expensive. I tried it last night and after it was lit, it poured heavy white smoke for 35 minutes - I finally put my spatchcock on after 45 minutes and cooked for an hour. It had a heavy, heavy not pleasant charcoaly taste - had to throw it out. Could this have been a bad bag or this just the brand. I now am feeling a little gun shy about buying anything else but the BGE brand.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have used it off and on for a few years and never had the smoke issue. Perhaps it was a bad lot.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    does the bag say "Lump Charcoal" or "Lump Coal"?
    Kent Madison MS
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Feenbo, all lump it not the same and I don’t think the brand makes that much difference with what happened with your chicken. If you don’t let all the bad smoke go away before you put the food on it will have the ugly taste. Check out this site for great info on lump.http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Feenbo
    Feenbo Posts: 37
    Options
    It says charcoal on the bag - with the BGE charcoal, the bad smoke was gone quickly - I figured 45 minutes with the Publix brand would have been more than enough time. Probly should have given it more - think I will just stick to what I have had success with!
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Had a bag of Frontier one time that every piece "felt" heavier than it should. Didn't have that light lump feel to it. It took over an hour with top and bottom open to get the smoke to clear.
    Threw some in the fire pit on one side and some RO on the other side and lit them. The RO didn't flame 5 mins and burned bright red... the Frontier flamed for over 30 mins before it settled down... I don't think they "cooked" all the inert ingredients out of the Frontier... since then I've bought other bags of Frontier without any problem.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Welcome to the club! I will send you a card. I have tried several different brands and now I will only buy BGE lump. Since I am in Atlanta I also now will only buy from the mothership. I have not liked the taste of any charcoal other than the BGE brand.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I refuse to pay $24.00 or whatever it is now for BGE lump when I can get the same thing [both are made by Royal Oak] in a Publix bag for half the price! I use it all the time and have never had a problem. Same goes for Kroger brand which I use when we are up north.
    I suspect you had a bad bag or possibly some air flow issues. I would not let one bad experience turn you away :)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    100% Agree, Royal Oak works great for me as well.
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Another satisfied Royal Oak (US version) customer here.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Check out the ratings at

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Royal Oak makes BGE lump (and numerous others). It is my standard lump to use (make sure it is the made in USA one). I use Wicked Good for long cooks, but Royal Oak for everything else.

Wal-Mart sells Royal Oak for a little over $6 for a 10 pound bag. Here in PA, they only sell it in the summer months.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I've used a lot of Greenwise and have been pleased. For sure you need to let it burn a bit before using it... Hope I don't get a bad bag, cause that it what it sounds like - especially if you did let it burn......
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Feenbo

Sounds like a bad bag. I agree with Capt. Frank, all those brands have been made by Royal Oak for a long time. I would give them a call the first of the week at (678) 461 3200 and talk to their customer service about it. It sounds as though the bag you got was not completely carbonized and a portion of the wood was reacting just like your chunks of smoke wood. I have used Publix/Royal Oak for ever and have never had a problem. I have tried Frontier lump that I found at an Ace Hardware Store and thought it was just as good. I have not been able to get the Frontier and am playing with Cowboy at the moment, I was able to get it very cheep, $6-8/20# back during the holidays, some people like it. I think it may burn hotter and faster but the jury is still out.

Good luck,

Blair

• BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    Options
    I made a post about the "NEW" Publix lump a few weeks ago. I have gone through five bags with the same results. HEAVY HEAVY smoke for a good hour!! Was actually telling my wife a few minutes ago about this. I loaded up the small to the top of the fire ring for some abt's. By the time the smoke cleared and the turds cooked I had used 3/4 the lump I loaded! The old stuff was just like RO, this stuff Idk? As much as I hate Stuff-Mart, I guess I have to bite my tongue and sneak in and out the garden center to get some.
  • GrillinGator
    Options
    I've used Publix Greenwise often & without problem. I haven't bought any lately - I had stocked up a while back. I hope they didn't change it since it's so convenient to get it there.
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    Options
    It's definitely changed.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You do realize Publix=Kroger=BGE=Royal Oak. They are all the same, made by RO.