Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need wing expert

Options
YUPPSTER
YUPPSTER Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new egg owner! I fired up the egg,Iam planning on grilling wings,however I left the platter(INDIRECT HEAT)on and now the grill is extremly hot! Iwas planning on cooking wings that I put a rub/marinade on! Any advice on how to cook indirect? There is no way to remove the insert !! Very hot! :woohoo:

Comments

• EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    I typically cook my wings indirect, so no big deal there. You can go low temp and smoke them (below 300), or higher 350-400 for 30 to 45 minutes.

Get a heavy duty welder's glove for moving the plate setter on and off the egg when hot.

Congrats on the egg!
  • BR-549
    BR-549 Posts: 48
    Options
    You have anything like welders gloves or oven mitts? If you do, make sure you know where you can sit the setter down in a hurry. It will get hot real fast.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Once you try taking a HOT platesetter out of an Egg with oven mitts you will know never do repeat that mistake again! :unsure: :S :huh:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Yuppster: No problem at all cooking wings indirect! I like 350-400*. Remember to put a drip pan on your plate setter to keep it from getting dirty and smokey! You can put the green feet or some foil balls between the platesetter and drip pan to keep the drippings from burning.

These were done indirect...and is my preferred method for spatchcoked birds, too.

costaandwings009.jpg

BTCMDTurducken-2.jpg

DSC01247.jpg
    Baked "fried" chicken...

DSC00996.jpg

Nothing wrong with indirect. :) As others said, get a heavy duty pair of welders gloves for the future. Just know where you are going to put the plate setter before you remove from the Egg so you can move pretty quickly. Have fun, and happy Eggin!!
  • YUPPSTER
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yuppster, if, in the future, you need to remove a hot part from the egg (and you WILL), be very sure you have a spot VERY NEARBY to set it down. No matter what you use (welder's gloves, silicone mitts or Nomex/Kevlar gloves, etc.), I would suggest a couple of pot holders in addition to those. This stuff gets VERY hot!!

I like to cook chicken direct, but as others have said, I'm sure you'll be happy with an indirect cook... just this once though! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I ONLY do indirect...here's a page from my blog and cookbook with the recipe I use most.

BGECookbookBinder_Page_094.jpg
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241