Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled beef

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,741
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
b9979823.jpg
<p />ive been doing pulled beef from chuck roasts cut from the roll,when its cold outside you need a long burning lump and if its wicked good keep it guarded.
aad818b1.jpg
cowlick rub, frenches mustard, and some sugar, roast was 7.5 pounds cut from a roll that weighed 22 pounds
d17aeae8.jpg
rub then mustard then more rub, cover the top with some sugar
dc6d124e.jpg
cooked indirect over a pan full of guinness at 225
e282c4d8.jpg
when internal hit 170, i removed the roast, covered with foil and added some liquid in the foil, seltzer and a vineger hot sauce
2004_0105Image0013.jpg
when it hit 205 internal it was placed in a cooler for about 1 hour then pulled.
2004_0105Image0014.jpg
abe eats well, pulled beef is definately one of my favorite cooks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Man that looks awesome...right up my alley...that will be on the definate "To Do" list...Thanks.[p]Wess

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Man! That's a work of ART! Beautiful! [p]Question...If you're buying from a grocer, do you just buy as large a chuck roast as they have?[p]Mike

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]yea, that does look good.[p]Couldn't help but notice two things. [p]The level in that beer glass keeps changing - is that key in any way.
    Second, dude, I think your dog might be an alien. Maybe you should that out...[p]

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    fishlessman, You have inspired me to get "out of my box." It's time to think past pulled pork and try some pulled beef. The only beef I've been able to do reasonably well with the egg is steak, grilled. I tried a brisket once when I first got the egg. Great smokey flavor but tough as shoe leather! The spicy vinegar you mentioned. Is is home made?[p]Jimbo[p]
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • egghead2004
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Oh boy, that look like next weeks dinner.
    Could I buy just a 7# chuck roast or am I looking for something special about it?

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]
    I have to agree with everyone else, that looks awesome. I have been wanting to to a chuck roll like someone else posted about but haven't got around to it yet. The photos might just be the inspiration I need. Is there a specific cut from the roll that you use or do you just cut a piece off of it?[p]Thanks[p]Chuck[p]

• ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Beautiful cook!!! I like everyone else want more details –Sauce, cut of meat, 225 at dome or meat level??? [p]BTY – Is your dog a Brittany???? Cannot quite tell on the color but if it is I think I have it’s twin…[p]-Chris

• fishlessman
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    i try to find out if they have a chuck roll which i believe is different from the shoulder. its a huge slab of beef. the butcher near me cuts me a chunk out of the middle as big as i want. the bigger the piece the less chance of it drying out, that chunk was as big wide as it was tall. make sure its choice grade

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    aka Mr. Earl ,
    the level in the glass is key, new kegging system in the basement, gotta keep the guinness flowing or it could go flat

fukahwee maine

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    fishlessman,
    LOL...it should be pressurized with Co2..and will never go flat..but I like your logic.[p]Wess

• fishlessman
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    1 part mojo sauce, 1 part white vineger, 1 part cider vineger,2 tablespoons texas pete, 1 table spoon cayenne, 1 table spoon ground pepper, 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar, 1 teaspoon sea salt. bring to a simmer and then chill. i think there was a cajon seasoning in it as well. i dont have the mojo sauce recipe here though its the one that wdan posted a while back

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    egghead2004,
    not sure if all cuts are the same, that one comes from the chuck roll which i think is near the ribs, just not sure

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Chuck,
    the center cut is good and uniform in size for cooking

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    ChrisC,
    100% brittany, trained to point fish. he stalks them like a blue heron, and on occasion catches one, 1.5 pound large mouth is his bragging rights. most of my cooks are raised in the dome and i only monitor dome temps. one curiuos thing to note is that the platue is low, between 135 and 150, takes for ever to get by this, but the meat comes out super tender

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    WessB,
    actually it needs 75% nitrogen/25% co2, 40 degrees and a pressure of 31psig seems to work best on the guinness

fukahwee maine

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Man that first picture looks like CUJO......I can see why you gave him some pulled beef......scary.
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Outside of the awesome pictures, the real question here is..............have you put that antique ice fishing rod and reel to good use yet?[p]Mick

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    fishlessman, that hunk of Chuck would make great burger! Looks like the right amount of fat from here...15-20%. That particular cut is near the rib (opposite from the neck) end. Notice your Chuck Eye muscle(bottom left in pic) and your Underblade muscle(upper right). [p]As far as the Beef Shoulder (clod) goes, try it. You can low and slow it like a Brisket and it comes out great. Same great flavor as the Chuck and the Brisket. Try to get it 'untrimmed' for best results.

• fishlessman
    Options
    MickeyT,
    just picked the rod up,its loaded with wire for deep trolling,lake trout in the spring. i have tons of tackle, infact my tackle box is 10 by 14 with french doors opening into the living room.i find tons of pleasure fishing with the old stuff and use it whenever i get the chance

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    i havent seen anything around here marked clod, is this were the 7 bone roast comes from. ive used those for chili meat before but hvent cooked them low and slow.this cut that ive been using i was told was a chuck roll, very easy to cook and good flavor, i have been thinking of buying the whole thing for burger pulled beef and chili

fukahwee maine

• Rumrunner
    Options
    fishlessman, on the bottom side of your pictured roast, if it had the blade bone in it, would be the 7-Bone Roast.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    thanks,sometimes its hard to know what your buying because the names are different wherever you go. i live 20 minutes to boston yet ask a butcher for a boston butt and even the better shops wont know that its a pork butt without guessing

fukahwee maine

• Rumrunner
    Options
    fishlessman, I was born and brought up in VT, the Ludlow area.[p]Back in the 1700's, when Boston was an established sea port, some of the fledgling pork producers would cut and pack their unique style of pork shoulder in salt and then in wooden barrels (butts). When the product arrived at their southern destinations the longshoremen would say, "Here come the Boston Butts". Hence, the name ;)[p]I like this version much better than Alton Brown's "...it's the butt end of the pork shoulder..."

• Dixie_Flyer
    Options
    fishlessman,
    how long did it take to get it to 205?