Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brisket and DigiQ DX

Hungry in LilburnHungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I am going for my second brisket today. The first one took 27 hours and I had to finish it in the oven in the house. It was very tasty but I felt I did something wrong. After about 12 hours the DigiQ DX went to screaming (alarm) and the pit temp went to about 325 (3 am in the morning). I didn't want my neighbors upset so I pulled it and put it in the oven to finish. It cooked another 14 hours and only hit 195 after I turned the oven up to 325. All in all it was tasty. Kind of fatty because I cooked it with deckle on and did not trim it of excess fat. I like fat. 3 Basic Food groups: meat, salt, fat.

So today I am trying another one. Got a Choice brisket from Sam's yesterday ($27! YIKES!) no deckle and seasoned it with kosher, garlic powder and Raising the Steaks. Filled fire pit to top of fire ring, set it aglow, added whiskey barrel chips and then hooked up DigiQ. I have draft door on DigiQ closed down to 1/4, daisy wheel almost shut and my gasket is a nomex with a pretty decent seal. Hooked it all up and turned it on at 6:30 am. After about a 5 min delay blower came on and pumped up pit temp to 225. Meat is 44. I took first set of pics. Then I decided to play with display bracket and had minor tech glitch but everything seems to be working well.

Okay all you DigiQ experts, what did I do wrong? Why did my pit temp go to 325 the first time? Do you think it will happen again? If it does should I just shut it down and let it fall back to the 225 range? The ambient air temp right now is 26 degrees, any affect?
Okay, here are the pics. I am using my brand new Nikon Coolpix L22 and know less about it than the DigiQ.
DSCN0034.jpg
DSCN0032.jpg
DSCN0033.jpg

Comments