Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Put My Mother's Butt in the Egg!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My mother told me that she would buy a pork butt if I would Egg it for the holiday. I told her sure, but only if the offer included sufficient quantities of Bud Light. Well, she brought her butt (and the pork) over yesterday, and I rubbed it with Willy's #1, let it sit all day, and stuck it in the BGE at 225 with a big chunk of pecan wood. It's now 14 hours later, and it's beautiful, 195 on the Poulder. It's gonna sit for an hour, then I'll pull it, mix it with some of our Killer sauce, and put it back in the Egg over Hickory for about an hour. WOW! Haven't seen the beer yet, however.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Jim in Belleville,[p]I am intrigued with the idea of cooking the meal (I want to say your Mother's Butt!) and then smoking it prior to serving. Did you smoke during the cook? Can you offer a comparison in flavor, smoking time, etc. I tend to smoke just prior to cooking with a little left for the cook. Thanks and congratulations.[p]Spin[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Spin, this "double-smoke" technique is actually my high-school aged son's idea, and it really works! I smoked the butt over pecan wood for the lo-and-slo 14 hours. We really like the smoothness of pecan smoke flavor (fortunately, we have access to unlimited amounts!). Too much hickory is just a little harsh for me, but I like the flavor of just a little, so the second smoking infuses the hickory flavor into the sauce (I can't stand the chemically flavored sauces). After I pull it, I add just enough sauce to coat the meat, and put it back in the BGE in an open foil cake pan with just a little hickory, and mix it every 15 minutes for about an hour. (This second smoking also serves to heat it through without heating up the kitchen). Try it and see if you can the difference and let us know!
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    [p]I reheated some PP I did much like that but didn't add any new sauce - I did smoke it up pretty good though and that did work. I just did enough for 2 sandwiches - might try it on the whole load sometime. Thanks[p]Tim

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Jim in Belleville,[p]Tell your son that I thank him for the idea. He is a thinker and I appreciate a thinker. I will experiment with this.[p]Spin[p][p]